Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System memory utilization making my system slow.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System memory utilization making my system slow.

Hi Folks,

I recently installed Kubuntu on my Desktop and found that it boost my CPU usage often in between and then doesn't come down. To get back to normal state again either you have to go to Text Terminal or Reboot the system.

I tried installed Graphics drivers from nVidia Beta 270.18 for linux still this issue is not solved. Also, even after installing drivers my resolution resets automatically to 1024x768 every time i reboot the system.

Can anybody help me solve this issue?

Hitesh

Re: System memory utilization making my system slow.

I don't think that this issue is due to the installation of Kubuntu. There might be some other reason behind that.

Comment

Are you new to linux? Or just to Kubuntu? Do you know how to determine what process is causing the high CPU usage?

Comment

I am not a total New to Linux person but, you can say I am rookie. Using top command I can check the system utilization of processes.

Now after trying so hard my KDM process was not initiating hence I re-formated system and installed it from Text Mode.. here now new scene is there.. without installing nVidia drivers its picking up my highest resolution but default resolution is 1024x768 whereas I want it default to 1280x1024..

What should i do?

For better info /etc/X11/xorg.conf file is not present.

Please help.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
          Are you new to linux? Or just to Kubuntu? Do you know how to determine what process is causing the high CPU usage?
          Detonate. I am new and have been searching for this all morning. I have seen the monitor which shows running processes, but all show small numbers. How do I determine which process is using the CPU and a lot of memory? I would love to know.

Thanks,
          critin

Comment

Open a console and run 'top' and you will see which processes are using the most CPU.

Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Next time you have problems, before you shut down do this in a terminal window, please

cd Desktop
              ps -eo pid,rtprio,ni,pri,pcpu,rss,comm --sort -rss > ps.txt
              ps -eo pid,rtprio,ni,pri,pcpu,rss,comm --sort -pcpu >> ps.txt

This will create a text file called ps.txt in your desktop folder. The first section of the text file will have your processes sorted by memory usage. The second section will have the same processes sorted by CPU usage. Attach the results to a post, please.

I've attached mine so you can see what it looks like. The RSS column is memory usage and the %CPU column is CPU usage.

cheers

edit: I don't know if anybody's interested but I use this in ~/.bash_aliases

Looks like this -

alias processes="ps -eo pid,rtprio,ni,pri,pcpu,rss,comm --sort -rss && ps -eo pid,rtprio,ni,pri,pcpu,rss,comm --sort -pcpu"

then all I have to do if I want a soft copy to email somewhere is

processes > processes.txt

I heart Linux
              Attached Files
              we see things not as they are, but as we are.
              -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
              X