X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shadow on Desktop

Hi,
    I am running KDE 4.5.1 installed Kubuntu 10.10. The problem I have with the desktop is that there is a shadow across the top left-hand corner. It looks like a plasma folder but I cannot shift it. It is annoying rather than anything. How do I get rid of this folder/shadow?

Regards
    Doctorj
    ++

Re: Shadow on Desktop

Hi
    I assume that you've tried restarting correct? If it is a folder that is not constrained by a "launch on start" then it would go away. But, I assume that you have restarted so..

Could you provide some info about your video hardware and drivers?

Also it could be a "monitor" problem here is a result of a search for "shadow on monitor", the guy is suggesting possibly the lamp and you might not have noticed it before with a high brightness display.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/52...shadow-monitor

woodsmoke

Comment

Yes, I have restarted my machine several times and the shadow won't go away. It looks like a folder shadow but is completely see-through. So it does not block any view. It is just a nuisance.

Comment

Click the cashew and "Unlock Widgets". Now hover your mouse over the right edge of the shadow -- maybe you have to right-click on it. Look for the box with an X in it. Click that X and the shadow/folder is deleted.

Don't forget to "Lock Widgets" when you are done with it.

Comment

Doctorj - 'Shadow' that looks like a plasma widget appearing at top left of monitor screen.

This problem has been around for some time.
          I get it on my system occasionally.
          It has been reported but as far as I know no permanent fix has been produced or attempted.

I read of a 'temporary fix' that does work i.e. it removes the irritation, though, unfortunately, it will possibly reappear next time you start up Kubuntu.

Pressing Shift/Alt F12 will turn off Desktop effects & at the same time will remove the 'Shadow artifact'
          Pressing Shift/Alt F12 again will turn on Desktop effects, without the Shadow

As I mentioned before, this does not fix the problem & it is necessary to turn Desktop effects off every time this phenomenon occurs in order to deal with it.

For anyone in the know reading this -
          • the artifact appears to be a shadow of a widget, rather than an actual widget
          • it does not behave like a widget
          • it appears occasionally & apparently randomly at startup after login
          • position - around the 'Desktop Folder' widget's default position [ie top left of screen]
          • size - larger than 'Desktop Folder' widget in size
          • the 'shadow' is a box which is always the same size & always in the same position
          • restarting Desktop Effects removes the artifact
          • this phenomenon has been around for some time & has been reported

As far as I know this is not a serious problem affecting system stability.

Comment

Bobbicat,

This is exactly the problem I am experiencing. Yes the keys SHIFT ALT F 12 turned the shadow off. Thanks for the information and the key to turn it off. It worked. BUT it would be good if there was a permanent fix to this problem. Thanks.

Doctorj
            ++

Comment

Working...
            X