This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem re-installing Firefox 3.6.16

I have just experienced a problem re-installing Firefox with KpackageKit.
    I keep getting an error message "short read on buffer copy for backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/lib/firefox-3.6.16/libxul.so'"

I am running

Kubuntu 10.10,
    KDE 4.5.1,
    Grub 0.97-29ubuntu60.
    Computer is a Desktop,
    CPU AMD 64 BIT,
    4 Gig of RAM,
    120 Gig HD,
    Samsung Optical Drive,

Any suggestions on how to move forward?
    Cheers,
    Graeme.

Re: Problem re-installing Firefox 3.6.16

You state that your re-installing Firefox: how did you remove it? Becase it appears that some of the FF files are still remaining on your computer before the new installation attempt. I believe this because I have that same path/name myself in my own '/usr' file.
    Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

Hi,
      I was using KpackageKit to remove it. The only Firefox related programmes in KpackageKit are: Firebug extension for Firefox, Firefox Launchpad extension, & Firefox Web Browser. I have removed/un-installed them. What other files do I need to remove?
      Graeme

Comment

You might want to run in the konsole[terminal] a 'purge' command, to ensure its entirely removed. The command is:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get purge firefox
        That shold remove whatever is left. I ran a simulation, and this is what happened:
        joshua@Isadora:~$ sudo apt-get -s purge firefox
        [sudo] password for joshua:
        Reading package lists... Done
        Building dependency tree
        Reading state information... Done
        The following packages will be REMOVED:
        firefox* firefox-branding*
        0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
        Purg firefox [3.6.16+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.10.1] [firefox-branding:i386 ]
        Purg firefox-branding [3.6.16+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.10.1]
        If that does work, we can then attempt to install it in the same instance[no need to restart the computer]. You'll need to run:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install firefox
        And hopefully that will solve the issue(s). The reason for the Konsole is that KPackageKit sucks. I only use it to find the packages to install through the Konsole.
        Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

Hi,
          I did as you suggested, and this is what came up.

graeme@graeme-System-Product-Name:~$ sudo apt-get purge firefox
          Building dependency tree
          You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
          The following packages have unmet dependencies:
          firefox-branding : Depends: firefox (= 3.6.16+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.10.1) but it is not going to be installed
          firefox-launchpad-plugin : Depends: firefox but it is not going to be installed
          E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
          graeme@graeme-System-Product-Name:~$

I tried to re-install firefox as you suggested and below is the result.

sudo apt-get install firefox
          Building dependency tree
          Suggested packages:
          firefox-gnome-support ttf-lyx
          The following NEW packages will be installed:
          firefox
          0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
          2 not fully installed or removed.
          Need to get 0B/12.7MB of archives.
          After this operation, 37.9MB of additional disk space will be used.
          WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
          firefox
          Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
          (Reading database ... 130924 files and directories currently installed.)
          Unpacking firefox (from .../firefox_3.6.16+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.10.1_amd64.deb) ...
          dpkg-deb (subprocess): data: internal gzip read error: '<fd:0>: invalid code lengths set'
          dpkg-deb: subprocess <decompress> returned error exit status 2
          dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/firefox_3.6.16+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.10.1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
          short read on buffer copy for backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/lib/firefox-3.6.16/libxul.so'
          Errors were encountered while processing:
          /var/cache/apt/archives/firefox_3.6.16+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.10.1_amd64.deb
          E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
          graeme@graeme-System-Product-Name:~$
          Not sure what to do now.

Graeme

Comment

Have you tried apt-get -f install with no packages as 'apt-get' suggested?
            But we have something workable, we know where the problem is related, by what the Konsole told us:
            The following packages have unmet dependencies:
            firefox-branding : Depends: firefox (= 3.6.16+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.10.1) but it is not going to be installed
            firefox-launchpad-plugin : Depends: firefox but it is not going to be installed
            and
            dpkg-deb (subprocess): data: internal gzip read error: '<fd:0>: invalid code lengths set'
            dpkg-deb: subprocess <decompress> returned error exit status 2
            dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/firefox_3.6.16+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.10.1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
            short read on buffer copy for backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/lib/firefox-3.6.16/libxul.so'
            Errors were encountered while processing:
            /var/cache/apt/archives/firefox_3.6.16+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.10.1_amd64.deb
            E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
            I've never personally encountered these problems, though I can attempt to simulate it on a personal computer of my own. But these problems state that there is a known package dependency issue missing. Question: Have you installed the build-essentials onto your computer?

Comment

Working...
            X