This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitor Keeps Shutting Down When Idle

I installed Kubuntu just over a week ago & have had only a few issues with it but it does one thing that's really annoying: the monitor goes into standby after the computer sits idle for about 10 minutes. I wouldn't mind if it would wait 30 minutes or longer but 10 minutes is just too short. The monitor is a Dell 1N1910N LCD model & here are the other details if they're necessary.
    Kubuntu Release: 10:10
    KDE v4.5.1;
    Grub vVersion: 0.97-29ubuntu60;
    CPU: Architecture: i686 Desktop
    CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit
    CPU(s): 1
    Thread(s) per core: 1
    Core(s) per socket: 1
    CPU socket(s): 1
    Vendor ID: Genuine Intel
    CPU family: 15
    Model: 2
    Stepping: 4
    CPU MHz: 1993.508;
    Graphics Prcsr.: 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01);
    40 GB HD; 512 GB RAM

I've tried different power & screen saver settings but nothing I've done so far made any difference in how long the monitor stays active. Thanks in advance.
    Dave

Re: Monitor Keeps Shutting Down When Idle

this should be done by setting your power settings. in

system settings->powermanagement-> profiles -> proformance and uncheck the monitor power savings, box as well as dim display.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

The OP didn't tell us whether the 'monitor' was external or internal (laptop). I'll assume a desktop PC, so an external monitor. In that case, there is the possibility that the monitor itself has power management firmware built in, that enables power saving after x minutes.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

This is a desktop computer & monitor; I don't think this monitor has an internal inactivity timeout feature; I couldn't find it in its setup parameters. This monitor is nearly two years old & has been connected to two different computers & run with both XP & Win 7; also the present computer that it's connected to ran both XP & Kubuntu but I've never had this problem until after I removed XP & installed Kubuntu so it appears that the computer's disabling the monitor now.

Also I already had Power Management set to do nothing when the computer was idle for more than 100 minutes under Profiles>Actions. Under Screen, both Dim display & Enable display power management were unchecked. As an experiment I checked Enable display power management & also Standby after 60 min to see if that helps; will let you know shortly if this resolved the problem or if I still need assistance.
        Dave

Comment

No joy yet. I think I recall setting display power mgt to enable standby after about an hour but wasn't sure so I tried it a few minutes ago to be sure then applied it & rebooted the computer but the monitor still went dark, as always, after 10 minutes. It acts the same way as when the computer is shut down only moving the mouse or pressing any key activates the last image that was on the screen because the computer's still running. What other settings control the monitor? Regards.
          Dave

Comment

Code:
            xset s off

Comment

also check the screensaver settings, it is by default set to go to a blank screen after 15 mins.

Comment

I had the screen saver disabled since I don't use a CRT monitor. [I've heard that LCD monitors use slightly more current with their screens blacked out (i.e., screen saver mode) although they use less in standby because the illumination is turned off.] Nevertheless, I tried setting the screen saver to activate after 60 min but that didn't change anything, either; the monitor still went into standby or sleep when the computer was idle for 10 min.

On another note,
                Originally posted by skunk
                Code:
                xset s off
                How & where do I insert this code instruction? I've had some experience using Konsole but that's all. Thanks.
                Dave

Comment

Open a terminal (konsole in your menu or via alt-f2) and type it in...

Please Read Me

Comment

Code:
                    xset s off
                    That didn't work either; I entered this & rebooted the computer but after 10 minutes of inactivity the monitor still went to sleep, same as when computer is turned off. I wonder if I should report this issue directly to Kubuntu or is it possible to do so?
                    Dave

Comment

Check your PC BIOS for power save features.
                      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC
                        Code:
                        xset s off
                        That didn't work either; I entered this & rebooted the computer but after 10 minutes of inactivity the monitor still went to sleep, same as when computer is turned off. I wonder if I should report this issue directly to Kubuntu or is it possible to do so?
                        Any command you enter at the command line and then reboot wipes out the effect of what you've entered - that's sort of the point of rebooting.

If you want to test the effects of a certain command, enter it and then don't reboot. If you want a command (like this one) to be persistent (i.e. survive a reboot) you have to enter it into a script or command file that runs at boot up or log in.

I'm also confused about what it is exactly you're trying to do. You said you set the screen saver at 60 minutes but then in the next sentence you say you've disabled the screen saver.

Let's start over:
                        It appears you are having trouble setting your power savings features correctly, is that right?
                        The "screen-saver" does not control screen power-saving (power off or standby) so what you do with that is irrelevant to screen power-saving or blanking.

Start by opening System Settings and going to Power Management> Capabilities and verify you have a green checkmark next to DPMS Support. Next, go to General Settings (I'm assuming this is a desktop computer) and at "When AC Adaptor is plugged in" select Performance. Then go to Edit Profiles, select Performance and tick "Enable display power management" and tick the first two options Standby and Suspend and enter the times you want, and then click "Apply".

If this doesn't work or you've done all this as I listed and you're not getting the results you want - post back and I will tell you how to do it using the command line.

Please Read Me

Comment

I am having same problem with my laptop and have tried all of the above. Does not happen with Gnome which rules out hardware issue. Loses video in EXACTLY ten minutes but video comes back when I tap touch pad for EXACTLY ten minutes to the second. Because I watch a lot of streaming video, this is annoying.

It is some kind of idle setting in KDE or maybe changing settings in power options gui is not totally working. If keyboard is in use during ten minute period it does not happen. It is not screensaver because I deliberately set screensaver to gaudy pattern and it just went dark. It is not hardware because it does not happen in Gnome.

Comment

For a laptop, you have to set separate settings in both Powersave and Performance modes. You can create additional profiles for Low battery and Almost dead battery too.

For the record (although I hate when people post this ) all this works as described on all my systems so I doubt it's a KDE problem.

Please Read Me

Comment

BTW rmark, You can easily add a command or create a script that will temporarily disable screen power management when you launch a video player if you wish. I think there's already a post on here about how to do it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X