This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to Install Software or Updates [SOLVED]

Whenever I try to install new programs such as games or utilities from "Get & Remove Software" or updates from KPackageKit or System Settings I can get them to go through the installation process but the process always stops when it's nearly done & the following error message pops up:
    "Cannot get Lock---KPackageKit [or System Settings, depending on what I try to install]. Cannot get the exclusive lock on the packaging backend. Please close any other Legacy packaging tools that may be open.

"Details

E: Dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'Dpkg--configure -a' to correct the problem."

I never have any other programs running although Kubuntu certainly may; how do I remedy this or if absolutely necessary, how can I manually run 'Dpkg--configure -a'?

Here's the info on this computer & installation:
    Kubuntu Release: 10:10
    KDE v4.5.1;
    Grub vVersion: 0.97-29ubuntu60;
    CPU: Architecture: i686 Desktop
    CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit
    CPU(s): 1
    Thread(s) per core: 1
    Core(s) per socket: 1
    CPU socket(s): 1
    Vendor ID: Genuine Intel
    CPU family: 15
    Model: 2
    Stepping: 4
    CPU MHz: 1993.508;
    Graphics Prcsr.: 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01);
    40 GB HD; 512 GB RAM Thanks in advance.
    Dave

Re: Unable to Install Software or Updates

E: Dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'Dpkg--configure -a' to correct the problem."
    The dpkg was interrupted -> the package(s) were not configured the right way.

Try with the konsole:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a

man dpkg
    NAME
    dpkg - package manager for Debian

SYNOPSIS
    dpkg [options] action

WARNING
    This manual is intended for users wishing to understand dpkg's command line options and
    package states in more detail than that provided by dpkg --help.
    --configure package...|-a|--pending
    Configure a package which has been unpacked but not yet configured. If -a or --pending
    is given instead of package, all unpacked but unconfigured packages are configured.

More:
    > HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help
    > Topic: [SOLVED] kpackagekit 'exclusive lock' error
    > FAQ: Package Managers
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: Unable to Install Software or Updates [SOLVED]

Thanks Rog; that solved this problem. Putting "sudo dpkg --configure -a" [w/o quotes] in the Konsole fixed it. At this stage Konsole is the only way I know of to enter instructions. I wish Linux classes were as plentiful as the ones for MS Windows.
      Dave

Comment

Working...
      X