This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[guide] How I got my GTX 460 going properly

When I first installed Kubuntu I was getting a display (thank goodness) but it was some ridiculous thing like 640x480 or something. I read up on various forums and wildly installed various packages that looked like they might be potentially relevant but nothing worked. When I went into "additional drivers" it just said I was using the recommended proprietary nvidia drivers. Fat lot of help that was... When I installed the Nvidia X Server Settings and ran it I got "You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file" and this did not sound like fun.

If this sounds like you, there is a way out: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

You go there, download the .run file, and make note of where it is. Then shut down your X Server/KDE GUI and go into the deep darkness of the horrendously horrifying Command Line Interface. Do this by opening up a "little" command prompt from the main menu and entering "sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop". Now change directory to your nvidia .run driver (for instance, cd ./Downloads, use "ls" to see what directories and stuff are in your current location) and then enter "sudo ./whateverthedriverfileiscalled.run" replacing "whateverthedriverfileiscalled" with whatever the nvidia linux driver you downloaded is called. At this point things should become self-explanatory as the driver takes over and installs itself. Once done, type "sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start" and the glorious KDE desktop should reappear in full res!

Note: this is a newb's guide for newbs by newbs so don't expect me to help you beyond what I have already graciously done because I really have no idea what I'm talking about despite what it may sound like. The above worked for me and that's all I know. *cheers*

UPDATE
    If you're doing this on a fresh install, like you should be, you will need to install the binutils and gcc packages before you can successfully install the driver. This is mainly for the sake of my own pride because if you try to install the drivers without the above it will tell you to go install them, but now you can't say I didn't warn you. good luck!

Re: [guide] How I got my GTX 460 going properly

I think dibl's tutorial covers this topic a bit more eloquently and thoroughly. Your method is #3 in dibl's tutorial.

Glad you're up and running, though!
    Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
    Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
    Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Dibl's tutorial is much better, and doubtless produces better results as after the above, Kubuntu blithely reverted to the crappy default drivers. After a reinstall of Nvidia's drivers things are working again, but I may have to go through Dibl's method if things don't hold up.

Comment

As long as you blacklist nvidiafb and nouveau you won't have problems with kubuntu rolling your driver back.

BUT, every time you upgrade xorg or its constituents, you will need to reinstall the NVIDIA driver. It's such a quick process that I've gotten used to it.
        Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200

Comment

Originally posted by rfakhrai
          As long as you blacklist nvidiafb and nouveau you won't have problems with kubuntu rolling your driver back.
          Plus, see the note about rebuilding the initramfs.

Comment

Thanks m8, I appreciate that.

Comment

Dibl, am I going to get a kickback at any point for promoting your HOW-TO in a vast number of my posts?

Comment

Yep, you have a beer waiting for you here in the Center of the Universe, next time you come visiting!

Comment

Working...
                X