X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Managing optical drive

Hi,

So sorry to read that your data may have been lost to a bad burn. Bad burns happen with every OS, optical drive, burning software, drivers, brand of media, type of data. It is just a fact of optical discs we have to live with.

When you (apparently ) removed Windows you only had one copy of the data on the DVD, correct? If that is so, then next time please consider making a backup copy of your data. By definition, a backup implies more than one copy.

I have been burning and reading data discs with Ubuntu and Kubuntu since at least 7.04 Feisty Fawn. It has never been necessary to add software beyond what comes with the default install. If the file manager does not automatically recognize a data disc then something is wrong.

There are programs which purport to recover data from bad optical discs. One such program is IsoBuster, which I have used on Windows. I do not know whether a Linux-native program exists with the same capabilities.

If you would like to better understand what has happened here, maybe avoid problems in the future, you could do worse than to reread dibl's and Rog131's posts. They have already provided most of the information which might help you in this situation. Even if the data is gone forever, at least you can come out of this a little wiser.

Sorry that I can't help much here. I wish you better luck in the future.
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
    X