This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Question: How Do I View WMV Files? SOLVED

I just installed Kubuntu v10:10 in this computer & was impressed by how easily I was able to install & run Opera & other programs. However, I'm disappointed to find that several programs won't run with Linux including videos in WMV format [that normally work with Windows Media Player]. I looked into downloading & installing the Kubuntu version of VLC but, like many instructions, they're based on the assumption all their potential users are somewhat advanced.

I looked through the previous postings on the subject here but couldn't find what I was looking for. Does Kubuntu have a player for WMV videos that's already installed? If so, how do I make it work? If not, what player should I download &, step-by-step, how do I install it & make it work.

Here are the particulars for my installation:
    KDE v4.5.1;
    Grub vVersion: 0.97-29ubuntu60;
    CPU: Architecture: i686
    CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit
    CPU(s): 1
    Thread(s) per core: 1
    Core(s) per socket: 1
    CPU socket(s): 1
    Vendor ID: Genuine Intel
    CPU family: 15
    Model: 2
    Stepping: 4
    CPU MHz: 1993.508;
    Graphics Prcsr.: 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01);
    40 GB HD; 512 GB RAM

Thanks in advance. Dave
    Dave

Re: Newbie Question: How Do I View WMV Files?

Welcome to KFN and Linux/Kubuntu.

You will need to add the Medibuntu repository and follow the instructions for installing the 'non-free' codecs required to play restricted (non-free) formats.

See Medibuntu
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Not meaning to undermine here Snowhog, but won't the kubuntu-restricted-extras do the same trick?? Unless I'm mistaken, I've never actually played a .wmv on my Linux box, so I wouldn't know. If thats not the case, I'll need to pay attention to this thread :P
      Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

Likely. Doesn't hurt to start with installing the package. I've just always (so, habit) added the Medibuntu repository and then installed the required packages.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC
          I looked into downloading & installing the Kubuntu version of VLC but, like many instructions, they're based on the assumption all their potential users are somewhat advanced.

Thanks in advance. Dave
          VLC is avalabel in your package manager and can be installed from it with a few clicks.

I'm not shure if the kubuntu-restricted-extras package pules in .wmv suport or not but it is one of the first things I install as it dose pull in flash,java,dvd playback,and mp3 suport........but you still nead libdvdcss2 to play a dvd and that lives in medibuntu.

I do know that my firefox plays .wmv's on web pages with the mplayer plugin ......and I think you will also get suport for it if you folow @Snowhog's link and add the repo and install the w32codecs.

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks all, AFAIK, I installed all the applicable Medibuntu repos, then rebooted the computer & I tried watching a video in .wmv format & it worked[!] so that's encouraging. I also tried playing some MP3 audio files; they downloaded but I was unable to hear them so I suspect I still need to add something to make them work. Any suggestions & should I submit this in a new post?.

Incidentally, Medibuntu instructions were very concise; they tell where to go & what to do, not just the data to enter which is useless [by itself] to a newb like me. Even though I was successful I do have one comment about Medibuntu's instructions for adding these repos. On their website [https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu>"Adding the Repository"], both the repos for Ubuntu & Kubuntu are the same. I was a little less than optimistic because I was expecting either different instruction sets or assurance that the repo would work for both. 'Guess that's my wariness around new instructions showing. Regards.
            Dave

Comment

I also tried playing some MP3 audio files; they downloaded but I was unable to hear them so I suspect I still need to add something to make them work. Any suggestions & should I submit this in a new post?.
              I'm not shure if the kubuntu-restricted-extras package pules in .wmv suport or not but it is one of the first things I install as it dose pull in flash,java,dvd playback,and mp3 suport.
              Open Konsole Terminal Program, connected to the internet and issue the command:
              sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras
              It will install a bunch of useful stuff. You will need to "agree" to sun-java being installed.

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
              "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC
                both the repos for Ubuntu & Kubuntu are the same. I was a little less than optimistic because I was expecting either different instruction sets or assurance that the repo would work for both.
                While I can't give you the assurance you may require, ubuntu repos are always used interchangeably with kubuntu because the OS is the same, it's just the graphical environment that's different. So there is nothing to be afraid of. In fact, if you ever can't find help on this site, searching the ubuntu forums may help you with your problem. And, as you become more familiar with Kubuntu, you'll learn that when ubuntu people say "gedit" you need to use "kate" etc.

Happy multimedia playback!
                Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
                Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
                Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Open Konsole Terminal Program, connected to the internet and issue the command:
                  sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted extras
                  It will install a bunch of useful stuff. You will need to "agree" to sun-java being installed.
                  Thanks arochester. I tried this & apparently there aren't any restricted extra files available; after a few seconds bash told me, "unable to locate restricted extras".

Also, thanks rfakhrai. I suspected that both Kubuntu & Ubuntu were the same except for their GUIs but making assumptions can have consequences.
                  Dave

Comment

It needs to be entered as:
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras
                    And though they are the same distro, be somewhat wary of GNOME/KDE applications. Sometimes they don't work well with each other.
                    Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

Thanks for the help; I had no idea that the second hyphen was missing from the first command. After entering the command again [with both hyphens this time] bash found & installed over 5 MB more data. After rebooting I tried playing several MP3 videos & only one [which may have had a problem] failed to work. Now if I can get my scanner & printer to work...but that issue will appear in a new posting.
                      Dave

Comment

Did you recieve a specific error message, or did it simply make no sound?

And I can attempt to help if possible on the printers, though I'm not the best out there. If Detonate, GreyGeek, or Snowhog sees it they would definitely be able to help more then me. But I can give my tries, haha

Comment

I would suggest making a new thread about your printer issue. You can link back to this thread so you don't have to re-post your system specs.

Often, it is very easy to get printers/scanners up and running so we should be able to help. Please include the make and model of your printer/scanner when you start the new thread.
                          Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200

Comment

Sorry; I meant to say new thread instead of 'new posting' in regards to my printer/scanner problem. I'll submit that in a few days since I won't need to use them for a while. I've got some other issues I'd like to get resolved first. I'll post them shortly.

Back to my original issue; when I Google "MP3 videos" I get a slew of music videos in MP3 format & [after finding the right button to click] every song I select plays now so my MP3 & .wmv problems appear to be fixed. Thanks for the help.
                            Dave

Comment

Please edit the title of this thread to include [SOLVED] so other people can learn from the issue.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X