Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the netbook edition of kubuntu work well with this system?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the netbook edition of kubuntu work well with this system?

Just bought a Dell Mini 9 on ebay. Here are the specs:
    Code:
    Inspiron 910 - Intel® Atom Processor® N270 (1.6GHz/533Mhz FSB/512K cache), Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition

-- Inspiron Mini 9 --
    -- Intel® Atom Processor® N270 (1.6GHz/533Mhz FSB/512K cache)
    -----------------------
    -- System Color Option --
    -- Alpine White
    -----------------------
    -- Memory --
    -- 1GB DDR2 at 533MHz
    -----------------------
    -- LCD Panel --
    -- Glossy 8.9 inch LED display (1024X600)
    -----------------------
    -- Video Card --
    -- Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950
    -----------------------
    -- Hard Drive --
    -- 16GB Solid State Drive
    -----------------------
    -- OPERATING SYSTEM --
    -- Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
    -----------------------
    -- Sound --
    -- Base LCD Assembly
    -----------------------
    -- Wireless Networking Cards --
    -- Wireless 802.11g Mini Card
    -----------------------
    -- Camera Module --
    -- Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
    I've never used the netbook edition of Kubuntu, and wondered if it would run very well on this. Would some of the lighter weight linux flavors (puppy, xubuntu, etc) be a better choice?

Re: Will the netbook edition of kubuntu work well with this system?

yup will run just fine.. have almost the same hardware in my netbook
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Some of its better then my hardware :P
      And I run the desktop version with mostly beta software[other then Natty, not sure if I can use it..need a somewhat stable OS]. So you'll be good to go with the netbook version
      Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

As a used device it is not legal in the US for you to retain the copy of XP that exists on that device. It is probably registered to the first owner and that GUID key, were it eventually connected to you (and it would be) would identify you as running either a bootlegged copy or a stolen device. The first owner should have scrubbed XP off the drive before he/she sold it.

That said, I doubt it would make a good dual boot machine because 16GB of SSD is NOT ENOUGH space for a dual boot situation.

So, booting a LiveXXX from the appropriate device I'd give the entire 16GB to Kubuntu. It will take about 6 to 8 GB depending on what you'll want to install and leave about 8 to 10GB for documents, photos, etc.
        I would also recommend using the 10.10 or 11.04 release. You can save SSD space by not using GTK+ based applications like Thunderbird, FireFox, VLC, etc, and focus on KDE/Qt4 apps like KMail, Konqueror, Chromium. etc. IOW, apps built using Qt4 and avoiding any apps dependent on libgtk2.0-0.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for the advice fellas!

My main goal in getting this is to have a travel laptop when I'm going on vaction, etc. Something to access the web, check email, music and movie files. The only bad part is that the SDD is 16 Gigs. Won't hold everything, but then it doesn't have to.

P.S. The first thing that will happen is the SDD will wiped with any trace of windows, and some flavor of linux (Kubuntu, my favorite ) will be tried on it. If it doesn't respond well, then Xubuntu, or puppy.

Comment

it should be noted that i don't use the netbook interface , i use the regualar "desktop" interface on my netbook.(and natty since alpha1). i find that by changing the size of the widow borders to tiny, and using a "thin" plasma theme i have enuff space to make a workable desktop. another think i do is keep a virtual desktop that i set a kwin for so my browser always opens on that desktop in full screen mode . having only 600px high can be difficult. but since the small tweaks i've made to fit the screen size its much more useable then the netbook plasma set (at least for me)
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
            X