This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Sound Issue

im looking into gnome vs KDE and whats going to better in the long term for me, comming from windows, and as i said before about looks, ofcourse KDE is very nice

also whether to use 32bit or 64bit

The only problem i had with mint KDE/OpenSUSE KDE ( im yet to try kubuntu but i plan to see if it happens there, it seems to be a problem with KDE itself, not the distro or the company. but no company has release a definitive fix, but i researched the KDE forums and its been reported multiple times on many different distro's ) is my USB Headphones, they work fine with amarok, and most programs. accept firefox, when watching a youtube video, i get no sound even with the ALSA plugin enabled.

and thats so far the only problem i have with KDE that i cant seem to find a working fix for, yes ive tried multiple forums and the ALSA plugin and pulse configurations

Re: KDE Sound Issue

There are often problems posted about USB, whether headphones, speakers, telephones (as in Skype), keyboards etc.

Part of this seems to be about the computer, rather than Linux. Does the BIOS have the ability to enable USB?

For example people with USB keyboards sometimes complain, when they are dual booting, that they cannot scroll up and down to choose Windows, If the BIOS does not support enabling USB then (unfortunately) the answer is to get a PS/2 keyboard.

Have a look at your BIOS. Again, the answer may be (unfortunately) to get non-USB headphones that will plug into the sound card...
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

32 vs 64 bit if you can use 64 but use it. there is not much of a differance in the programs you can run . and yes you can if you need to still use 32 bit programs just fine.

this is a common problem w/ non Qt apps...
      check in Kmix to be sure the PCM channel is not muted or set to a low volume.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Try the Live CD first. Test your hardware. If you have sound with the Live CD, then you'll know you can have sound with the installed system, even though it may be muted at first, and you might have to unmute it.

arochester's point about the BIOS handling of a USB keyboard is correct -- you need to know about that, too.

Comment

Working...
        X