This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue: Shutdown/Reboot

Hey guy, I have recently installed the latest stable version of kubuntu via the ubuntu windows installer. My issue is that when I try to shutdown kubuntu from the "start" menu, my computer actually reboots. Has anyone else had this issue and a solution? Thanks!

Re: Issue: Shutdown/Reboot

Hi and welcome to the forum

Can't say I have ever had this issue but the first thing you should make sure of is that your machine is up to date. Have you done this with kpackagekit?

It will also help if you get the latest stable version of KDE which has resolved many issues since the launch of 10.10

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-4.6.1

HTH

Ian

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, I will be ensure my machine is up to date and post the results. As for the new release of KDE, will that update itself along with the other updates from packagekit?
      Thanks again

EDIT:
      Alright, so I've just updated everything, but I also have another issue. Ill start at the beginning of the issue.......
      A while back I tried to install compiz (allows customisable effects for desktop, etc). After installation, a new entry in GRUB appeared for me to boot from. When booting from the new entry, I would not have any GUI, but instead, just an old looking, full screen terminal. Now after updating, another entry appeared, and I do not get any type of GUI from that either. I can still kubuntu fine, but only for the original... I'm not exactly sure what to call it, but the oldest "boot entry"?(Please inform me)

Anyways, is there a way to fix the newest entry? Or am I forced to reinstall kubuntu? I feel as though compiz might be the reason behind all of this...

Comment

Are you using an nvidia driver? If yes - here's what happened:

Your update installed a new linux-image but not the linux-headers that also are required. In your terminal type;

dpkg -l |grep ii |grep linux-image

You will see a list of installed images. Then install the matching headers with;

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.32-30-generic

substitute your version number for the one above.

You should also be able to select the older kernel and still have a GUI

Please Read Me

Comment

Sweet it worked. So what exactly happened? Why does kubuntu have issues updating the headers? Also, this entries I can choose to boot from, what are they? Different slightly altered versions of the OS; back up before big changes? And I am still having the issue of shutdown resulting in reboot. Thanks again guys!

Comment

The nvidia drivers need the kernel headers to work because they use a service called dkms .

As long as you remember to install the headers whenever you install a ew kernel version, this should happen again.

Please Read Me

Comment

Would installing dkms take care of this? I know that in VirtualBox, having dkms installed ensures that when a new kernel comes in, the VB modules get built/updated automatically.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I am now completely updated on everything, including the newest KDE. I am still having issues with shutting down resulting in reboot. This problem also occurs if I shutdown through the terminal, so it's not just the menu. Any input is appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by ritzbits
                  This problem also occurs if I shutdown through the terminal, ...
                  From the terminal, are you typing:
                  Code:
                  sudo shutdown -P now
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I was actually just running
                    Code:
                    sudo shutdown 0
                    But I just tried your method and the same problem occurs

Comment

it sounds like a ACPI issue. try to disable it in your bios and see if that changes the behavor.
                      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

@snowhog: You have to have dkms in order to use the nvidia drivers, maybe ATI too. The missing piece was the headers which dkms needs to load the driver into the kernel. The default kubuntu install doesn't bring in the kernel headers metapackage automatically. I believe Jockey will add the headers when you "Activate" the nvidia driver, but not the header meta package so the subsequent updated kernel will not have the nvidia driver available. dkms is smart enough to automatically add the nvidia driver to all installed kernels once their matching headers are installed. You can see dkms responses if you open the "Details" window in Synaptic or install the headers via the CLI. I swear I've given this exact advice to 6 people in the last week.

Please Read Me

Comment

been extremely busy with school for a while.... So in the BIOS, there are 2 ACPI settings, 1 and 3 if I remember correctly. Changing it from 3 to 1 does not affect the behavior of my ubuntu side restarting instead of shutting down. Any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                          X