This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: crossover linux

I converted a few .odt to .doc yesterday and opened them with Word 2007 with no issues. Think I'm gonna call this one just a corrupted document.

But - I'm gonna leave MS Office installed for awhile as I'd prefer not to take the chance when applying for six-figure positions. I don't know how the document got corrupted, but I will keep an eye on it for awhile.

cheers -
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
      I converted a few .odt to .doc yesterday and opened them with Word 2007 with no issues. Think I'm gonna call this one just a corrupted document.

But - I'm gonna leave MS Office installed for awhile as I'd prefer not to take the chance when applying for six-figure positions. I don't know how the document got corrupted, but I will keep an eye on it for awhile.

cheers -
      BTW good luck with your application.

Comment

Does the same problem occur in OpenOffice? Or is it just a LibreOffice thing? And Koffice?

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
          Does the same problem occur in OpenOffice? Or is it just a LibreOffice thing? And Koffice?
          Unknown. I do know that I converted a handful of .odt to .doc last night and they all opened fine. My resume doesn't have anything really special - no tables, just some centered and boldface stuff at the top. Pretty simple.

I figure it was just a corrupted file.
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

I'd definitely keep the MS office aps available for things like that. If the employer can't open it, then it is worthless.

woodsmoke

Comment

Have you seen this? "What do you use to edit Microsoft Word documents (docx)?" - http://askubuntu.com/questions/32691...documents-docx
              "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
              "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I tried KOffice on an MS doc on a whim and was stunned that #1) it opened it at all, and #2) it opened it VERY FAST. Saving and re-opening didn't harm the doc.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GG that's why I've been using OO, now LO for several years now. Up until what Win7 does i have had zero problems. And that is not OO or LO's problem it is the predatory practices of MS.

As per the above post, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Abiword, does, yes work with .doc and .docx.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
                  X