X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crossover linux

Actually works pretty well.

I've been casting my net out in the job market and had a prospective employer tell me they couldn't read my resume (created in LibreOffice as an MS Word document) so I installed a copy of Crossover Linux I had laying around from their giveaway back in 2008 and installed some components of MS Office Enterprise (just Word, Excel and Powerpoint).

All installed and ran without a hitch - true enough, Word 2007 couldn't open the resume created in LibreOffice and I'm still running that to ground but at least I got my resume fixed.

It does feel a little strange running Windows applications under Linux but so far the experience has been positive. I'd really like to figure out what the problem with LO is so I can get rid of the Microsoft stuff, though.

It is a little strange. My resume is fairly straightforward, has no tables or other weirdness - just some centered text at the top and my name is in boldface but Word 2007 sure doesn't like it.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Re: crossover linux

And here's a screenshot.

[img width=400 height=250]http://ebassist.com/pix/crossover-ofice.jpg[/img]
    -- anais nin

Comment

Strange, Windows 2007 normally deals in .docx or .docm whereas LibreOffice will save to a .doc ---but Windows 2007 should read that.

How about saving your resume in .rtf format? Rich Text Format is fairly universal.
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I use OpenOffice and I always export to PDF (unless others are expected to change the document) to avoid MS Word version terror. Sounds like this could be an option for you as well in this case.

Comment

I agree with dfsp_spirit - pdf is the way to go I think.

However, LibreOffice can save to a .docx file which might overcome the issue - it's lower down the list.

Having said that there will always be the odd occasion where you have to use that dreaded format - when I need to I use the freely-downloadable word and powerpoint viewers in wine.

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
            ...How about saving your resume in .rtf format? Rich Text Format is fairly universal.
            Not all resumes are read by humans any more - at least not for the first cut, so if they ask for .doc or .docx that's what I've been sending. pdf is a good idea if you're sure a human's making the first cut, but if the resume's being read by a machine pdf doesn't work real well.
            -- anais nin

Comment

Yes, when submitting a resume be sure your resume contains all of the keywords that are in the job announcement. When they are machine read, they are scored based on the words.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                Yes, when submitting a resume be sure your resume contains all of the keywords that are in the job announcement. When they are machine read, they are scored based on the words.
                Now we know how some of the banks recruited some of their top people

Comment

Re-read original post and had a think. Perhaps I have the wrong end of the stick.

Has it been a problem of fonts? LibreOffice fonts v Microsoft fonts.

Have you got w32codecs installed? (or w64codecs if appropriate)

What font(s) did you use?
                  "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I have posted about this at another forum. The problem is not LibreOffice or Open Office.

I have on a Sony Vaio a Vista Business OS that is completely up to date.

I also have MS Publisher 2000.

I also use OO to make presentations.

I have used presentations, and I have made HUNDREDS of them at the college for my lectures in biology and environmental science.

I started out in Publisher 2000 making the presentations, discovered Linux and have as of about 6 years ago made all of my presentations in OO because OO first was able to save to "doc" and was recently able to save to "docx"

The college has always used XP until this last semester, starting in January of 2011.

Over Christmas, the "upgraded" to Win 7.

XP has ALWAYS said that it was running my presentations in "compatibality" mode.

And, if i get a .doc as an attachment to an e-mail and open it on the Vista machine with Office 2000 it always says it is running in "compatibility mode".

This semester, I started off with going on swimmingly as usual, the college really did, until the Linux IT guy left, try their best to accomodate Linux and MAC, But when he left it was "get on with the MS program".

This semester about a week into it, I decided to add another couple of images to a couple of lectures. I added the images and REsaved as "doc".

Now,l the new save for Office 2007 is that it saves to a "document". what is not apparent is that it is saving to "docx" and not .doc as default.

Now, I have changed stuff at the college before and not had a problem with saving to .doc.

However.....NOW....if I have changed even ONE item. Like a word, or a picture, or ANYthing and save to .doc the NEXT time I open it.....

the file is in a folder and the file is symbolized by a BLACK sheet of paper( in the folder) the sheets represent the kinds of files in the folder.

When i open the .doc, that was changed and then resaved in .doc the compatibility thing starts, stops part way through and then opens a very large greay box and says with a lot of text this:

This is a quote: This document has experienced an UNrecoverable error. In order to prevent further data loss the affected slides have been replaced with blank slides.

Ok....if I look at the presentation, there are now WHITE slides where I made a change.

Now, I can take the very same, presentation that has unrecoverable data loss to my house, put it on a Linux xystem and OO reads the slides just fine.

I can put the thing on the Vista machine with Office 2000 and all of the slides are there.

If you had the foresight to do it, you cold have opened the presentation and noted the size of the file, and after it had unrecoverable data loss and you would see that the file is now LARGER!

There is no data loss. MS puts a "wrapper" around the changed slides in some wah that makes the new version of PPT read the slide as "white".

If....however, one saves as a "document" in other words .docx then there is no problem.

The microsoft forums have several posts on this and the moderators reply that it is a "known bug" and that they are working on it.

Now here is a curious thing.

If I make a change to the ppt. and then save to a pen drive, and take it to the house and it runs and bring it back it is labled as being corrupted. Please notice that MS can read and write to the pen drive.

If, however, I save to a CD the ppt that is read as corrupted on the hard drive is read perfectly FROM the cd because

can you figure it out?

MS cannot write to the cd!

this is all a scam to force people to thing that somehow their programs aren't working correctly and that they need to spend 300 bucks to buy the latest office and 300 to buy Win7.

What is STUNNING ABOUT THIS... is that under a certain president who is in office as of this writing.... the DOJ is not doing anything about it. Not to get into politics!

But this is a PATENTLY blatant lie on the part of MS and everybody who had the power to sue them for predatory practices a decade ago is now looking the other way.

A hilarious, and pitiful, example of this is what happened yesterday.

I was lecturing to the Env Sci class in a classroom and they saw the folders for the lectures all open and normal.

We then decamped to thelab where we were starting on topo maps and I had a short ten slide presentation on them,

I opened the folders that were all normal not ten minutes earlier, but now I'm on another computer.. AND EVERY SINGLE PRESENTATION is now colored BLACK in the folders.

Now the presentations did open, but this is the latest "update" I am sure to some part of the MS ecosystem because all of the drives are "rebuilt" each night at midnight.

As a side note, try typing into google search something like "saved as .doc has corrupted slides Win 7" and notice the hundreds of "storefronts" that have a "document repair program or service", such as the one here:

http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/word.html

So....the outcome of all of this is that folks using OO will have to produce a document as .docx from the get go and never save it as .doc to get past the "automated opening" as noted in a post further above.

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
                      Re-read original post and had a think. Perhaps I have the wrong end of the stick.

Has it been a problem of fonts? LibreOffice fonts v Microsoft fonts.

Have you got w32codecs installed? (or w64codecs if appropriate)

What font(s) did you use?
                      Font is 11 point Arial but you might be onto something. I'm gonna play with fonts a little bit.
                      -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke

There is no data loss. MS puts a "wrapper" around the changed slides in some wah that makes the new version of PPT read the slide as "white".

If....however, one saves as a "document" in other words .docx then there is no problem.

The microsoft forums have several posts on this and the moderators reply that it is a "known bug" and that they are working on it.

Now here is a curious thing.

If I make a change to the ppt. and then save to a pen drive, and take it to the house and it runs and bring it back it is labled as being corrupted. Please notice that MS can read and write to the pen drive.

If, however, I save to a CD the ppt that is read as corrupted on the hard drive is read perfectly FROM the cd because

can you figure it out?

MS cannot write to the cd!

this is all a scam to force people to thing that somehow their programs aren't working correctly and that they need to spend 300 bucks to buy the latest office and 300 to buy Win7.

What is STUNNING ABOUT THIS... is that under a certain president who is in office as of this writing.... the DOJ is not doing anything about it. Not to get into politics!
                        Wow -- this is truly disturbing! Thanks woody. I'm thinking it's time to write a letter to my (Republican) congressman!

Comment

What was Bill Gate's programming maxim? "Windows isn't done until Lotus won't run!".

I have no doubt that automatic updates have modified Word installations to be incompatible with OOo or LOo.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                            What was Bill Gate's programming maxim? "Windows isn't done until Lotus won't run!".

I have no doubt that automatic updates have modified Word installations to be incompatible with OOo or LOo.
                            I guess this is also possible

It does bug me to have to run Word on Linux but the alternative is to stand up a Windows machine and that's even worse

I'm gonna play with this some more and see if I can figure out the problem. It might just be a corrupted document - I'm gonna convert some of my .odt to .doc and see if Word chokes on them.
                            -- anais nin

Comment

I have a Skydrive- Windows Live account, which I don't use very much. OK, but they give out free 25Gb online storage...

I created a .docx document online. I downloaded it and edited it with LibreOffice - keeping the same .docx format. I uploaded it and (surprise, surprise) I then could not open it online...

Comment

Working...
                              X