This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unsure on how to connect to Canon MG6100 series wireless printer

I searched throughout both the forum and the web for help on how to connect to this printer, and I'm posting now because I am thoroughly baffled. Its a Canon MG6100 Series Printer, and it is not connected directly to any computer in my house. My mom has her computer wirelessly print to it, and I used MS-Word to attempt to find the IP of the printer, but I got this instead:
    Code:
    CNBJNP_00IE8FABOF33
    obviously, this mess of characters made no sense to me. I tried a net lookup but it told me that there wasn't anything named as such. Any help on finding the IP or just in general being able to connect to it would be nice.
    I attempted to go through the printer configuration to find it, but this ended quite badly.
    If any information is requested, I will post it
    Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Re: Unsure on how to connect to Canon MG6100 series wireless printer

Check the DHCP table in your router's interface. This is why I always setup my wireless printer's (I have two) with a static IP. The usual method of doing this, is to first open the printer's interface with a wired or USB connection, and find the wireless settings and change from DHCP to manual IP. Then disconnect the wired or USB connection and restart the printer. Then go to the CUPS interface and use the add printer feature and it should be detected. Set it up using ipp://theIPaddress.

Comment

How do I check the router's interface? Its a Verizon 7500 modem, so the most advanced thing it can tell me is whether the internet is working by a blinking light. And to change this setting, I wire it with my computer? Or will I have to use my moms? Because if I prevent her from printing to this printer, she'll never forgive me. And I don't have 'CUPS' installed on my computer? I'm not sure what it is. I've seen reference to it, but since I can usually go through 'printer configuration' I never bothered to retrieve it. Though I will now. And when I change from DHCP to manual, it will remain the same the entire time, and her MS-Word/etc. will be able to print to it?
      Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

Is this your modem/router? Sorry I did not get back to you sooner, AFK all day.

http://www22.verizon.com/residential...500/121475.htm

Comment

Yes, that is the exact kind in fact, and its fine. Any help is appreciated, even if its delayed, it doesn't bother me too much[since printing for me isn't vital, or job oriented or something..unlike my mom. Hence, why I don't want to accidently screw it up]

Comment

OK, the setup page for that router/modem is http://192.168.1.1. Enter that in your web browser. The default user name is admin and the default password is password. That's the first thing you want to change when you get in there. Browse around the pages and get familiar with them. Find the page that will list the DHCP leases. Your printer should be listed there. Make a note of the IP address. After you have finished browsing around your router/modem setup pages, enter that IP address in your browser and the setup pages for your printer should come up.

Comment

I'm actually quite familiar using that interface. I was confused as to what you were meaning. I became familiar when Verizon tried telling us to use WEP password protection. I know how easy it is to hack WEP, so I immediately got into the box and changed it to WPA2 with AES+TKIP encryptions. So thats pretty easy, I'll find the thing, and then make changes the password/username so that people don't get in, I didn't think about that until just now. Let me see if this works, and I'll post if it does/doesn't.

EDIT:
              I shall post results on Sunday. My mother needs her printer for something uber important, and said that if I dared mess with it, she'll take my computer from me. So. Delay!

Comment

Yes, if you change the IP address to a static IP, you may need to reinstall the printer on your mother's computer, so proceed with caution here!!

Comment

I looked at it withot configuring anything, and when I was given the option to make it static, it showed the exact same IP that was automatically given it. Does this mean anything significant, such as being able to change it without need for reinstallation? also, if it doesnt work, would I be able to switch back to DHCP without need for reinstallation?

Comment

You can leave it with the IP address from DHCP and install it. But the drawback to that is, if the devices on the network get rebooted they may end up with a different IP address and your printer will stop working. The installation on your mother's computer probably installed it by it's name on the network and not the IP address, so it would not be affected. When installing on linux, it's much easier to use the IP address.

And you do have CUPS installed. To access the CUPS setup page enter http://127.0.0.1:631 in your browser.

Comment

I hate to beat on a dead topic, but I tried accessing CUPS, and it said my printer wasn't there. It was using a static IP from the start, though printer configuration also can't figure it out. Since the last time I tried to do this, I am now using 11.04 and KDE4.6.3. anything new would be appreciated

Comment

I don't have any further suggestions. Only thing I can suggest at this point is to hook the printer up via usb or ethernet. Double check all of the wireless settings, especially the security settings, disconnect the usb or ethernet. Turn off the printer and turn it back on. Don't know what else to say.

Comment

alright, I'll give that a whirl when I'm back upstairs. I easily accessed the printer configuration, and its set to not be restricted by IP address, its also properly connected to my network. I pinged the printer with some data loss, but thats not unexpected. I'll try turning the printer on and off, I didn't think of that until you mentioned it. thanks anyhow, I'll see if I can get it working!

Comment

Working...
                          X