• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kubuntu 64bit wont start at first boot

only graphic card in pci-e and tv card in pci

Comment

Why is xorg griping about a Mach64? There's about a decade of technology between a Mach 64 and an X850.

Comment

started wondering that my self too that must have been the problem with the live cd too and i couldn't even get to the installation on that cd, because there was some problem and if i remember correctly it was x server that mentioned me to configure it and how on earth i could configure it when it still was on the cd

Comment

The other point is that if the Mach 64 is not showing up in lspci, where is the xserver getting the notion that your card is a Mach64?

Back to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file! There should be a stanza in there entitled Section "Device". That should say something about your video card (There may be two such sections.) It has lines called identifier, boardname, busid, driver and screen. What do they say?

Comment

Section "Device"
            Identifier "ATI Technologies, Inc. R480 [Radeon X850XT Platinum (Pnum (PCIE)]"
            Driver "ati"
            BusID "PCI:4:0:0"
            VideoRam 262144
            Option "UseFBDev" "true"

Section "Screen"
            Identifier "Default Screen"
            Device "ATI Technologies, Inc. R480 [Radeon X850XT Platinum (Pnum (PCIE)]"
            Monitor "Generic Monitor"
            Default Depth 24

and after that comes the screen subsections

and this was in lspci

0000:04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc R480 [Radeon X850XT Platinum (PCIE)]
            0000:04:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc R480 [Radeon X850XT Platinum (Secondary)

Comment

Okay, now I'm stumped. If xorg.conf says you have a Radeon X850XT located at PCI:4.0:0 where does the idea in xorg.0.log, that you have a Mach64 at the same address, come from?

Comment

Could be a problem/bug with the 'ati' driver, you could try 'radeon' (for a free driver) or 'fglrx'

Testing radeon is fairly simple, just change 'Driver "ati"' to 'Driver "radeon"' in xorg.conf

The 'radeon' driver promises to support R480 cards, though 2d only (see 'man radeon')

Testing radeon should at least help you narrow down the problem.

Comment

works with the radeon driver finally got to the desktop, but really odd that if i change to vesa driver i have to reinstall linux, but if i use fglrx or ati it stops in the same place always but with radeon it works

Comment

Originally posted by linuxed
                    really odd that if i change to vesa driver i have to reinstall linux
                    Reinstall? you could probably change it back with the recovery mode or livecd without reinstalling...or am I missing something?

Comment

Apparently, the vesa driver completely killed his display. That's something I've never heard of before. I must admit I also wouldn't have expected a genuine bug in the ati driver.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                        Originally posted by linuxed
                        really odd that if i change to vesa driver i have to reinstall linux
                        Reinstall? you could probably change it back with the recovery mode or livecd without reinstalling...or am I missing something?
                        well since i hadn't installed anything to kubuntu at that time so the easiest way was to install it again and it doesn't take so long to do it

but could the problem be that for some reason kernel module doesn't match with the drivers, cause that is what i got when i tryed to install the newest ati drivers

[Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
                        [Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
                        [Error] Kernel Module : No kernel module build environment - please consult realt readme.

Comment

If you're trying to install drivers directly from the ATI site you WILL run into problems, possibly requiring a kernel recompile. While this is extremely educational, I doubt that you want to undertake it at this point. It's certainly preferable to use apt-get, Aptitude, Synaptic, or (if you must) Adept to install "linux-restricted-modules-<your-kernel>" and "xorg-driver-fglrx", where <your-kernel> is the output from the konsole command "uname -r".

Meanwhile, I think I've found an explanation for your original problem. It's not a bug it's a feature. Even if you have an Nvidia display card, (K)Ubuntu installs a package called "xserver-xorg-driver-ati". This includes three driver packages: "atimisc" for older cards, "r128" for Rage cards(?), and "radeon". So when you entered "ati" in xorg.conf you got a driver that never heard of Radeon cards. It took the ID string of your card and somehow came up with Mach 64. You should have been using the "radeon" driver all along. As a dyed in the wool Nvidia user, I led you astray by suggesting the "ati" driver, which I thought was the equivalent of the "nv" standard free driver, for ATI cards. I'm sorry for all the trouble and distress my mistake has caused you. But I still don't understand why the "vesa" driver didn't work.

Comment

for some reason ati actually was the driver, that was set to be the driver on my kubuntu when i installed it and where can i change my screens resolution, cause it's on so big setting

i'm starting to wonder that could the problem be with the crossfire express 3200 chipset, that is causing the problems

Comment

As I mentioned in an earlier post. You should set the resolution of your screen to the native resolution of your flat panel by deleting all the modelines from the xorg.conf file that don't have the native resolution. That's what I've doing since I first switched to flat panels.

Comment

yeah, but it doesn't have any effect to my screens resolution and in the xorg.conf file there is only 1280x1024 resolution that my screen is capable of

Comment

Working...
                                X