X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

remastersys question - Includ home directory contents

First off, remastersys is very cool!

Is there a way to include the contents of your home directory in a remastersys iso image?

Re: remastersys question - Includ home directory contents

Hi
    could you expand a little on what you mean by "include contents of home directory?"

If you mean that you want all of "your stuff" there, as in settings, etc, it will do that.

if you mean do you want to keep a gazillion documents or images or music, it will attmept to do that but probably choke on it unless you have a very large hard drive.

If you do the distribution mode, it assumes you have no documents etc. if you do backup, it does exactly that but, again, it will choke on too much stuff, and what "too much" is, I don't know, but I tried it once and the problem was, I think, that the hard drive itself was not large enough to hold two whole copies of everything.

so...if you could elaborate a little someone more expert than I could give a better answer.

woodsmoke

Comment

I've just tried the 'sudo remastersys dist'. So if I'm understanding, this just creates an ISO of the OS per say. If I did a 'sudo remastersys backup', this would create a backup of the os INCLUDING the contents of /home, etc.

Is that correct?

Comment

http://geekconnection.org/remastersys/

you are restricted to 4Gig of compressed data but yes that's corect.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

So probably the best way to approach this is to backup your home directory to another source and create an iso using 'remastersys dist'. I have my home directory in a different partition than my root directory. So I can completely format root, setup /home with all the existing data, and I should be close to being back to running.

Now here is the kicker... I have two drives in a LVM for backup of other data (home directory, music, etc). I've gotten in the habit of using the alternate CD for installs because of it's LVM support. Can you make an 'Alternative' install using remastersys?

Comment

Working...
          X