This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I start Firefox 4 from KMenu?

How do I start Firefox 4 from KMenu when I downloaded and installed Firefox4.0.tar.bz2 (only launches from terminal), and 'apt-get' installs Firefox 3.6.15 even though I tried to "--purge" it from Linux?

I downloaded and installed Firefox 4 RC using tar.bz2 so that I could still use Firefox 3.6.15 as per normal, having to start Firefox 4 using the terminal which worked great (except for many videos on different websites which just showed a blank, blank screen). When Firefox 4 was released, I suppose I was in a hurry to get it to work like normal from my menu, but it kept saying that 3.6.15 was the latest version (I'll be quite embarrassed if it wasn't available for Linux users - I do love Firefox!). I did something silly, like purge Firefox from my operating system (Kubuntu 10.10) and when I reinstalled it was still 3.6.15 (it wasn't really downloading, but unpacking). Am I in too much of a hurry or is there a fix-it? I can use Firefox 4, but only through the terminal and I suspect it is slower than it should be. I would like only one version now.

Re: How do I start Firefox 4 from KMenu?

Hi
    In order to add firefox4 to your menu when you've installed it out side of apt-get.

you right click on the K Menu icon go to edit menu and make the changes there. you can either edit the firefox 3.6 menu entry and point it to firefox4 or create a new menu entry for firefox4 and leave the 3.6 entry, though I would find that confusing at times.

If you want updates to ff4 you'll need to add the appropriate repository see the following thread for info on how to do that

then you can just upgrade the ff 3.6 to ff4 good luck
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3116096.0
    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

use the command line.. it is simplest and the best way.
      if you have minefield (i.e. firefox beta) installed, please remove that.. and run this in terminal
      Code:
      sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/firefox-stable
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
      bingo!
      asus A52N
      Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
      AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
      windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

Fantastic! Thanks very much for your help!

Comment

Working...
        X