This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Play Media Files On Network Shared Drives

I created a network with Multiple Shared Drives to store my media files. I love Kubuntu and I am able to access these shares which are NTFS formatted CIFS partiions without a problem. However, when I go to play the media files it keeps being unable to play the files but if I copy that same file it will play it no problem so I know its not the Restricted Extras. Can anyone here help me get these shares mapped or mounted so I can play the files in my kubuntu install?

Kubuntu 10.10

Re: Play Media Files On Network Shared Drives

what are you trying to play the files with ?

I think most players will copy the file to a temp dir and then play it if it's not streamed from the source.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I tested it with Dragon, VLC, Kaffeine, and it was not able to play at all. I'm not sure if the problem was because I was connecting with SMB but that isn't a problem in Ubuntu 10.10 because I tried that but I prefer KDE to gnome.

Comment

The problem is with kioexec and how it handles SMB mounts.

Try vlc smb://<smb-host>/<smb-share-name>/<video-filename> in a terminal and it should stream.

Try adding this:

X-KDE-Protocol=smb,https

to the vlc.desktop file

Please Read Me

Comment

I also believe if you direct mount the SMB/CIFS share with a mount command or fstab entry rather than indirectly this behavior goes away.

Please Read Me

Comment

never command line mounted a windows file share in kubuntu is there a why to use a GUI for this or can you give me some pointers on how to mount this?

Comment

mount -t cifs smb://some/location /some/location

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank-you, I will post if I have any problems.

Comment

I still can't get this mount.

Comment

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...0357.msg220963

Please Read Me

Comment

I am currently running IBM T-400 Thinkpad with Kubuntu (x64) 10.10 in dual boot with Windows 7 x64. I am trying to mount shared drives from my Desktop and a NAS so that I can play media files. Folders are all CIFS windows partitions and I can access them with SMB but it will not mount.

I created Four Folders under Media to Mount the Shared Partitions.

\\<DESKTOP>\500 GB Drive
                      \\<DESKTOP>\Fserver1TB
                      \\<NAS>\TV_Shows
                      \\<NAS>\FILMS

mount -t cifs smb://<DESKTOP>/500 GB Drive /media/500GBDRIVE

Comment

You need to include the actual error output from the mount command.

I really don't understand your folders that you've created. I assume the backslash \ is a windows habit instead of the forward slash linux uses / or is that the windows representation of your samba shared folders?

Samba can be difficult to use and is rather tricky. You're really going to have to be more precise and verbose if you want help. I'm not trying to be difficult, but it's very difficult to offer any intelligent advice with so little to go on.

Also - /media is not really a great place to manually mount stuff. Ubuntu uses that location for UDEV/HAL automounts and you can accidentally create issues manually mounting stuff there, not to mention permission issues.

BTW: linux treats spaces as delimiters so a file or directory name that contains a space must be enclosed in quotes (single or double are ok as long as the sets match) so /media/500 GB Drive will never work under any circumstances. It must be "/media/500 GB Drive" or even /media/"500 GB Drive". Don't forget case counts too so you're usally better off with 500gbdrive or 500_gb_drive to avoid quotes and caps.

Please Read Me

Comment

And the "<" and ">" characters are also likely to be interpreted as i/o redirection unless you quote them appropriately

Comment

Sorry not be confusing that wasn't the name of the computer and I was showing the Windows \\ backslash. I tried using both VLC and Kaffeine on these files and received the same error messages for both on both of these. I have installed the media plugins because if I bring the file over locally then it will play without a problem. These files are saved on Windows shares which is why I was using samba.

VLC is unable to open the MRL 'smb://fileserver2/FServer1TB/TinMan/Tin.Man.Part.1.HDTV.Xvid.H.avi

Kaffeine Cannot find input plugin for MRL "smb://fileserver2/500GBDrive/TNT/The.First.Emperor.The.Man.Who.Made.China.XviD.AC3. MVGroup.org.avi".

Comment

Working...
                            X