X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE wont launch for each new kernel I have downloaded through updates

Hello

Please see my signature for my system specifications and let me know if there is any other information I should gather to make my problem a little clearer to you.

I have constantly updated my system noting every few updates a new kernel being loaded.

After each update where a new kernel was downloaded, a new boot option was added to my GRUB start up menu. Each time I select any of the new kernels, the system will start up but not load KDE. I will be stuck at the command line and not know how to get KDE running with all my settings and then just log out and then log back in using the original kernel I installed when I installed Kubuntu.

Is there a way to make KDE start up automatically for each new kernel with all my settings like my system does for the original kernel that I installed? I have a big number of entries now in GRUB of new kernels that I am not using because I don't know how to get KDE up and running. I am not a command line person sorry.

Many thanks.
    Kubuntu 10.10<br />KDE 4.6.1<br />GRUB (Legacy version) Version 0.97-29ubuntu60<br />Dual Boot with Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3<br /><br />Desktop<br />CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66GHz<br />RAM: 3GB<br />GPU: nVidia GeForce GT240<br />Audio: M-Audio Delta 1010

Re: KDE wont launch for each new kernel I have downloaded through updates

did you manually install any graphics drivers (nvidia)?
    If so, you will need to rebuild them each time you get a new kernel.

Normally, if you install the proprietary drivers either from a package manager, or the hardware drivers tool, there isnt a need for that as the drivers' kernel modules are taken care of already

Comment

With the nvidia drivers, you also need the kernel header file. - Like linux-headers-2.6.32-30-generic or whatever kernel version you're trying to use.

When you install it dkms should run automatically and setup the video drivers. You then have to reboot. You can check to see if dkms has updated by entering dkms status in a terminal.

Please Read Me

Comment

Yes I did install the nvidia graphics driver.

I got no idea what to do?

Claydoh: How do I rebuild the driver for each new kernel? Can I do it from the kubuntu where kde does load for all my other kernels?

Oshunluvr: Where do I get the nvidia header file?

Sorry but I have no idea.

Thanks for the replies.
        Kubuntu 10.10<br />KDE 4.6.1<br />GRUB (Legacy version) Version 0.97-29ubuntu60<br />Dual Boot with Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3<br /><br />Desktop<br />CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66GHz<br />RAM: 3GB<br />GPU: nVidia GeForce GT240<br />Audio: M-Audio Delta 1010

Comment

Team

PROBLEM SOLVED

Thank you for your help.

Based on your replies I did some research and ended up loading up the lastest kernel version with no KDE loading and at the command line entered the following:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

All is great now. I went to the kubuntu guide website based on what you told me and figured this would be the next thing you would tell me to do.

Now I can use the latest kernel. Finally.

Thanks again.

Comment

No need to be sorry - we all started at the beginning.

If you install the linux image you can boot and run it, but if you need to add an outside driver (like nvidias) you need the headers also. On rare occasions you may need the kernel source also - but that isn't typical.

So - if you want to use the kernel linux-image-2.6.32-30-generic and the nvidia driver - you must install linux-headers-2.6.32-30-generic also.

If everything else is working right, if you already have the nvidia driver installed and then install the headers, you will see a function called dkms (Dynamic Kernel Module Support) activate automatically and add the nividia module to your kernel. Once this is done you will then have to reboot, but should have your graphics back.

In the future, just be sure you install the associated headers whenever you install an updated kernel.

On to business: Here's the console commands to get the job done, commands are in bold, explanation in regular text, sample output in italics;

uname -r 2.6.32-30-generic This tells you what kernel you're using currently.
            sudo apt-get update This will update your repositories.
            sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.32-30-generic This will install the correct headers (use the version number in step 1).

After the install is complete, you should see dkms activate and install the nvidia module to your kernel. Once it's done, reboot. I suggest you update the latest kernel and once it's working OK - uninstall the others.

Report back if you have any problems.

EDIT: I guess we posted simultaneously! Congrats - glad you figured it out.

Please Read Me

Comment

On a finishing note...

If that is your wife, I am very impressed.

Comment

Yes it is thank you very much and Yes, I married waaaayyy above my station!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                X