X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

torrents won't work

Hey all,

Ever since I started using kubuntu, I haven't been able to get torrents to download..
    It's no seed or peer problem, since all the torrents are downloaded without a problem using bittornado in windows. Off course, who wants to have to use windows?!
    However, I can't get torrents to start in any program I tried on kubuntu; Ktorrent, qBittorrent and Bittonado.

UPnP is enabled on my router and in both torrent-programs that have the option available,
    I opened the specified ports (and tried specifying other ports) with Guarddog but still torrents stall without starting in everyone of the programs.

Hope anyone can help me out on this one!
    Much obliged!!

Re: torrents won't work

dunno, they work fine for me. I am not running guarddog, though just my router's firewall and upnp. Perhaps the router and guarddog don't get along? try disabling guarddog's firewall setup and see if that helps, at least it may tell whether or not it is properly set up

Comment

Disable my firewall?
      What do you think it's up for?
      Besides, if it was due to guarddog and the router not getting along I would expect the same for other internet traffic via konquerer, firefox, Kopete or whatever; all other programs I allowed ports for in guarddog work without any problem (of this sort).

Comment

So, judging from your reply to Claydoh, you've punched a hole through your firewall for port 6881 and 4444 for all network interfaces?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

you do know that a router is a hardware firewall............guarddog a software firewall.

Hear Ktorrent works fine with UPnP and my router.

you nead to check 1-that you know what port the torrent program is using (GG posted the default for Ktorrent....I alwase change that to a higher range like 58829.or so)....2- that it(the port the torrent client is using) is being ported through the router.......3-the same port is being passed through guarddog.

looking at the guarddog website I see that it is a KDE-3.x.x app and hasent been finished for KDE-4..x.x yet.

as I see it you shouldn't need guarddog at all IF your router is a firewall!!!

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

well, a router has software to do the firewalling.. However I have no rules specified on my router, because I wouldn't know where to begin. So, as far as I know my router should not have an active firewall at all right now. And in fact, I'm pretty sure I installed guarddog to see if opening ports via it would help (ran firestarter before); i.e. the problem occurred even before I installed guarddog.

I guess it must have to do with the router, but than why doesn't that give me any trouble under windowz?

Comment

Originally posted by ikke
              why doesn't that give me any trouble under windowz?
              If you haven't guess, Windows lets anything out ... and anything in.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

take down the firewall and see if it works.. that would be a good place to start.

after you see it works w/o the firewall up , foward the ports needed for upnp or for you torrent traffic.
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I don't think I was 100% clear, but others obviously have helped

Your router IS a firewall, so adding quarddog is adding more complexity to the system.

imnsho it is not necessary in general. I suggested removing/disabling guarddog to see if that was causing you not to connect with bittorrent. guarddog is iirc a GUI frontend for managing iptables, the linux firewall system. This is a complex, complicated industrial strength firewall. Which I why I believe it may be the root of your problem. Removing guarddog may NOT undo whatever iptables setup it has created, I am not familiar with the program at all. I don't know enough about the linux kernel firewall to know how to revert back to whatever default setup Kubuntu uses out of the box.

For a bit of history, I have been using ktorrent as my torrent client since back in the KDE3 days (Kubuntu 8.04 and earlier), and have used upnp to allow torrents to work through 5 different router models and 4 different ISP's with no issue, 2 routers and ISP's currently.

The only other possibility I can think of is if you exclusively get your torrents from a private group, their tracker may be blacklisting some clients they either don't like or think misbehave for whatever reason. Usually this is older versions of established clients, but who knows. The one I use has ktorrent and other linux clients listed as 'good'

Comment

Very funny grey geek, no; mighty amusing even.. And of course highly constructive. If it's a router problem windows letting anything in or out it wouldn't matter for the difference.. Furthermore, I only open ports when I use them, so no.. But again highly constructive, I can see why some people here care so much for you. Remember I didn't have any free music for days now, I will kill!

I do not think guarddog can be the culprit, I'm pretty sure I encountered the problem before installing it , plus all other apps work fine through it; it opens the specified ports as it should.

I tried three different clients, one of which works no prob under windows for the exact same torrents from the exact same place..

so (k)upnp does not work for my router? (zyxel P-2602HW-D1A)

Comment

so (k)upnp does not work for my router? (zyxel P-2602HW-D1A)
                      try setting the ports manually

and just because you don't think so..........dosent mean guarddog is not still to blame it is still a possibility!

VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I can see why some people here care so much for you. Remember I didn't have any free music for days now, I will kill!

GG knows stuff!

Here's an experiment you could do -- it's pretty safe, and should resolve the "is it guarddog?" question. Boot a Kubuntu Live CD, install ktorrent (if it isn't already there), mount your favorite junk partition and configure ktorrent to save on it, and start a torrent (with no guarddog present, obviously). Either it runs the torrent, or it doesn't, right?

Comment

Tried it, but Konqueror keeps reloading pages from 50%.. So I can't even enter my regular torrent sites from live cd, let alone start a torrent.

The manual port setting thing seems a little complicated to me though

Comment

It is not hard at all, not much different from doing so in guarddog, may even be easier

look here for awesome pictorial how-to's

Comment

NEVERMIND!
                              Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
                              Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
                              Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Working...
                              X