This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Please save my data!

Today I just installed Kubuntu 10.10! I then went to open my external Western Digital Hard Drive, it asked that I should format it before I use it. I accidently clicked OK. Then a message popped up saying that it was unable to format it! I realized my mistake and clicked OK again. Then I unplugged my HDD and connected it again. To my astonishment there wasn't an icon in the 'root' folder through which I access my HDD. But it detected it. Please tell me what to do! There are a lot of important files and data in that which are invaluable to me, and its erasal could result in me losing my job forever!!!

Re: HELP! Please save my data!

Then a message popped up saying that it was unable to format it!
    So is the disk re-formatted or not?

When it is plugged in is is shown in Dolphin File Manager?

How was (or is) it formatted?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by remo
      To my astonishment there wasn't an icon in the 'root' folder through which I access my HDD. But it detected it.
      I find those two sentences confusing. Can you expand?
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Hi
        I really do not want to say this, but if you had that hard drive attached and turned on in the install, then there is every possibility that you installed Kubu to both drives.

And, if that is the case it is possibly all gone.

Like Toad says, could you expand?

woodsmoke

Comment

One 'easy' way to see and investigate any device connected is using GParted or one of the other disk utilities.

Comment

Originally posted by remo
            Today I just installed Kubuntu 10.10! I then went to open my external Western Digital Hard Drive
            When? At what point during or after the installation?

it asked that I should format it before I use it. I accidently clicked OK.
            Bad idea.

Then a message popped up saying that it was unable to format it!
            Okay, there's still hope--IF it failed before actually doing any formatting.

I realized my mistake and clicked OK again. Then I unplugged my HDD and connected it again. To my astonishment there wasn't an icon in the 'root' folder through which I access my HDD. But it detected it.
            Yeah, like everybody else, this confuses me. Is it there or isn't it?
            Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
            X