This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kmail does not install kubuntu 10.10

I had kubuntu and Kmail working for some years now. When I upgraded to kubuntu 10.10. Kmail would not start up.

I un-installed via KPackageKit. then attempted to re-install Kmail. But it stops with the message.
    "The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    kmail: Depends: libkdepim4 (= 4:4.4.6-0ubuntu1) but 4:4.4.8-0ubuntu0.0.1 is to be installed
    Depends: libkleo4 (= 4:4.4.6-0ubuntu1) but 4:4.4.8-0ubuntu0.0.1 is to be installed
    Depends: libkpgp4 (= 4:4.4.6-0ubuntu1) but 4:4.4.8-0ubuntu0.0.1 is to be installed
    Depends: libksieve4 (= 4:4.4.6-0ubuntu1) but 4:4.4.8-0ubuntu0.0.1 is to be installed
    Depends: libmimelib4 (= 4:4.4.6-0ubuntu1) but 4:4.4.8-0ubuntu0.0.1 is to be installed"

Is there a way around this?

Thanks Gary

Re: kmail does not install kubuntu 10.10

Hi
    PLEASE do not think that I know what I'm doing here. OK?

I am SURE that someone more expert than I will pop along shortly and blow my post away.

But I see libkdepim4 in your output.

I saw it just a short while ago in working with Kontact, which includes Kmail.

I realize that you have good and valid reasons for using Kmail as a standalone, but it might just be that the "assumption" of the "developers upstream" NOT Kubuntu, is that you would have the Kontact suite installed and that there is something missing if the whole suite is not there.

Again, there are more expert people than I here and you should wait for their advice, but it is a possibility.

woodsmoke

Comment

The OP is running 10.10, but the version of KDE is 'old' - 4.4.6. I would bet one of woodsmokes nickles, that if the OP upgraded to KDE 4.5.x, this problem would be solved.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

yes, your upgrade seems borked.

Could you please open the Konsole program and type this?

Code:
        sudo apt-get install -f
        sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
        And report the errors. Alternatively, you can install Synaptic and try to locate broken packages with it.

Comment

Here's my kde version number
          Platform Version 4.5.1 (KDE 4.5.1)

"Could you please open the Konsole program and type this?
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install -f
          sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

And report the errors. Alternatively, you can install Synaptic and try to locate broken packages with it."

I do not see any errors to report.

I tried to install Synaptic but the same list of dependencies, as was identified for kmail, shows up.
          So back to square 1. I wonder if the only thing left is to install 10.10 from a DVD?

Thanks

Comment

How about upgrading to 4.5.5? That might fix things, you obviously have older libraries around,
            http://www.kubuntu.org/kde-sc-4.5.5

Do you see any broken packages in Synaptic -> Custom Filters? If you do, Synaptic will help you deal with them.

Otherwise, you can either do a fresh install, or remove kde and reinstall it (you could install lubuntu-desktop and do this from an lxde/lubuntu session using synaptic)

Good luck, please keep us posted!

Comment

I would update KDE to 4.6
              http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-4.6.1
              and if you have any trouble Doctordruidphd has the cure:
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3115843.0
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                I would update KDE to 4.6
                http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-4.6.1
                and if you have any trouble Doctordruidphd has the cure:
                http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3115843.0
                I am not so sure, I had lots of little issues when going 4.6.1, stayin in 4.5.x is better imho ...

Comment

In Natty, 4.6 is primo!
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice. I have been checking how to upgrade kde. That sent me off reading a number of pages. I am getting a bit confused. I will try to spend more time on this tomorrow or on Saturday.

Obviously, I'm a bit (or more) slow. But I will persevere.

Gary

Comment

Well I gave up trying to figure out how to upgrade KDE. The instructions were too complicated for me. Decided on a fresh install of 10.10.

My desktop has two drives. The second one only has backup which I create by copying from /home/gary. There were two backup files on the second drive before the reinstall on the first drive.

Used the DVD (Kubuntu side) from issue 7 of Ubuntu User magazine. Followed the instructions on screen and in the accompanying article.

After the installation and a couple of days later my system looks like
                      Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
                      /dev/sdb1 73744616 6098684 63899884 9% /
                      none 959544 224 959320 1% /dev
                      none 965136 2972 962164 1% /dev/shm
                      none 965136 92 965044 1% /var/run
                      none 965136 0 965136 0% /var/lock
                      /dev/sda1 56649756 14107780 39664332 27% /media/disk

On /media/disk I find my system as it was before the installation, but the copies I made are not on the disk. No files lost. I'm thankful,but don't understand what happened. Likely just dumb luck on my part and excellent installation system on Ubuntu/Kubuntu's part.

Now need to finish copying all the files over and change the permissions.

Still some odd issues with kmail. One some of my deleted mail goes to the outbox instead of the trash box – but not all. And sometimes but not always, I get a message that the email I'm replying to cannot be delivered because the address cannot be found which makes sense when the address is shown in the error message, but it is not the address of the original sender. I will try to figure it out or send off a bug report..

Thank you for helping. And sorry I could not do the upgrade of kde.
                      Gary

Comment

Working...
                      X