This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

making Kubuntu functional

Hallo, now that I have kubuntu installed, I have several issues, the primary two being that

A: I need to import bookmarks to Firefox

and

B: my Logitech USB headphones are not working; Kubuntu realizes that they are there, but when they are plugged in the speakers are still the first and only device to work at conveying sound

;o

Re: making Kubuntu functional

Originally posted by _Sophia
    Where is the bookmarks file you want to import? You don't need to actually IMPORT the bookmarks, just copy the bookmarks.html file over to your Firefox's default directory, restart Firefox and you should be good to go. (I use SeaMonkey but they're designed the same way, so this should work.)

I can't help with your #B.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu
      Where is the bookmarks file you want to import? You don't need to actually IMPORT the bookmarks, just copy the bookmarks.html file over to your Firefox's default directory, restart Firefox and you should be good to go. (I use SeaMonkey but they're designed the same way, so this should work.)

I can't help with your #B.
      not sure even how to do the directory thing

when i try to import html from within firefox, the bookmarks.html file is actually the default installed with ff (only 6 kb), whereas my bookmarkbackup files are 140k in size, but are not html filetype

SOLVED lol

Comment

for your question B
        do you see the usb headphones in Kmix while their plugged in ?

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yes, another place to look for them (and make them a priority) is in "System Settings -> Multimedia"

On the bright side, using ROR should be a breeze

Comment

Hi

Firefox

In your existing firefox installation select show all bookmarks and then in the resulting pane export to an html file.

Then in your kubuntu installation use the same procedure but selecting import instead.

Headphones

Plug them in then select kmenu/system settings/multimedia/phonon

Under each of the various headings select and hit prefer until they are at the top of the list for each one in which they appear. This will mean that the headphones will now be used whenever they are plugged in - if not the computer will use the speakers.

HTH

PS sorry for the duplication Leo

Comment

Hi
              addressing your importation of bookmarks.

Several posts above have discussed importing from a file or importing from an existing FF.

The assumption by FF is that you have one of two things going on.

a) you have an existing FF on the machine, you then install the new one and the new one will then ask you if you want to import bookmarks, etc. from an existing version of FF or say from Konqueror or if Windows from IE.

You, then, merely need to respond by saying "yes".

b) you have a brand new installation that has no bookmarks on it, but that you had a previous installation and you exported bookmarks from it to a file. It will have a kind of "generic" name. If you did, indeed, have such a file, with the generic name, in the correct file path, then FF would, then indeed, offer to import them.

However, most people have the export to something like "/" or sometimes "documents", or sometimes to the desktop.

Whichever way it happened, the assumption by FF is that you somehow "kept" that file, maybe put it onto a pen drive, OR........there really ARE some distros, I think maybe Ultimate, that acutally DO.... maintain information from a previous install, you might see it in the install process, and if it is in the right pathway then the INSTALL and thereby the FF on the install, might try to "migrate" those bookmarks.

However, this is usually not done, so one then is stuck with importing from the file from the previous install of FF and the OS that you put onto a usb drive.

So....cut to the chase...

is this a totally new install? If so then you will have had to keep the bookmarks on a usb drive and move that to the new install and then import and "search for" the file, and it will then, indeed import it.

is this an install of a new version of FF over an older version? Then you should respond "yes" to whatever question is asked about importing bookmarks by FF.

woodsmoke

Comment

Still having a problem with headphones. ;d

The model is Logitech Clear Chat Comfort USB headset. My computer knows that they're there.

Originally posted by The Liquidator

Headphones

Plug them in then select kmenu/system settings/multimedia/phonon

Under each of the various headings select and hit prefer until they are at the top of the list for each one in which they appear. This will mean that the headphones will now be used whenever they are plugged in - if not the computer will use the speakers.

HTH
                This was the first thing I tried.

In alsamixer, my headphones are at 0 volume, but when I hit the up arrow, it won't increase the volume. I chose the headset through f6 and unmuted the two elements in there, but it made no difference. Also: when I mute headphones on the main page of alsamixer, it mutes my speakers as well. Can anyone help?

Comment

Does this help?
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ6XRwW0n4M

I have found the pulse audio volume control to be very handy in tricky situations ...

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
                    Does this help?
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ6XRwW0n4M

I have found the pulse audio volume control to be very handy in tricky situations ...
                    I watched that and it didn't help. Btw, I have no idea how to get to the pulse audio volume control >.<

Comment

Btw, I have no idea how to get to the pulse audio volume control >.<
                      Open a terminal window.

Code:
                      sudo apt-get update
                      Code:
                      sudo apt-get install padevchooser paman pavucontrol
                      Exit the terminal. Alt-F2 "pavucontrol" will open the control panel.

Comment

Yes, that will do. Or, more in general, without knowing any tricks, you could go to "System Settings", then choose "Software Management", and just search for "Pulse Audio Volume Control". It would prompt you to install the program

Comment

I'm pretty sure it isn't a Pulseaudio issue.

okay:

Headphones are at 0 volume in alsamixer, and it won't permit me to increase the volume with the up-arrow.

Comment

bump

Comment

bump yet again ;d

Comment

Working...
                              X