Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failing at setting up Kubuntu (partitioning confusion and such)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failing at setting up Kubuntu (partitioning confusion and such)

Hey,

I'm trying to install Kubuntu 10.10, primarily for use as a better OS environment than Windows for Ruby/Ruby on Rails development.

I've basically spent all night trying to do so, because I'm an ubernoob, so here's the issue:

I burned the regular install onto a CD, and tried to install. For some reason, it did not pick up Vista (my current OS: Vista 64 bit), and thus only gave me two options; a) to erase the whole HD and allocate it to Kubuntu, or to manually create partitions. The first is obviously not what I want, and the second is cryptic to me.

So I tried the alternative CD, but it wants me to make manual partitions as well. The problem with this is that the whole HD seems to be allocated to Vista (1 TB), so even though I have 711 GB free space, I'm not sure how to open up some of that space without risking what data I have. Like I said, I'm a total n00b/clueless. X_X

My original intent was to dual boot, but now I'm thinking about running Kubuntu in a VM. Based on the issues I'm having, and the needs I have for my OS, what does this forum advise I do? And how can I overcome the partitioning issue? :d

Thanks,

Sophia

Re: Failing at setting up Kubuntu (partitioning confusion and such)

that is strange.. kubuntu should have recognised the vista on hdd.
    did you check the md5sum of cd. alternatively you can easily use the liveUSB to see, you can create one using http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/

every person will have a different perspective to partition the mammoth 1tb or 700gb you have.
    here is my take.
    1. normal boot to vista. defragment the disk, use the disk management utility of windows to free 20gb of space may be as fat32 for kubuntu.
    2. use the liveCD/USB to boot from kubuntu. check if my sound, wifi, webcam etc. works.
    3. install. i urge you not to use the automatic dual boot even if it recognised the vista, cause that will allocate roughly 30-40% to kubuntu (i donno what is the exact percentage or the logic behind hdd space allocation)
    Now, manual partition, find the space which you have freed using windows, make a swap partition of minimum RAM/2.
    Then, the rest of space, say around 20GB, use ext4 file system, and mount point as '/'
    that should do.

if you are a complete noob, i found linuxmint more easy for the starters.. though i loooooove kubuntu more.. i would still suggest you to try that.
    hey.. i have created a blog post for installation of mint.. as even i have been through the similar condition..
    here: http://vu2ikl.wordpress.com/
    asus A52N
    Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
    AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
    windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

For some reason, I am unable to change the partition size of the all-encompassing partition using the alternative boot CD.

Comment

Before doing anything with an external partitioning tool, you have to use Vista's partitioning tool to shrink the Vista partition: http://vista.blorge.com/2007/11/03/h...vista-machine/

You may already have an idea of how much space you want to free up for Linux. On that large 1TB hdd, I would suppose you could easily free up 50GB, which will enable you to make a 15GB "/" partition for the OS, a 34GB partition for data (could be mounted as "/home", or not), and 1GB for swap. These can all be within an "extended" type partition, so you avoid hitting the limitation of 4 total primary partitions (Vista is on a primary partition, and there may be a second "OEM" primary partition already).

Then, may I recommend a Parted Magic Live CD or USB stick: http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=downloads

Use the partitioning tool on the Parted Magic Live CD to make your partitions, in advance of booting the Kubuntu installation CD. Here is guidance on using GParted: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html

The reason for this recommendation (you already know it!): Just installing Linux is complicated enough. Use the Parted Magic Live CD, and the Gparted partitioning tool on it, to set up your hard drive as you want it. Then boot the Kubuntu Live CD or Alternate Install CD, and choose "Manual Partitioning", and then all you need to do is select the partitions that you already made with Parted Magic, and let the installation proceed.

Comment

I agree with the other comments but would like to add something, once you are running the Live CD you can install gParted in memory and use it for the partitioning.

Using a tool like gParted is so much more transparent than the build in manual partitioning.
          Once done don't forget to write down the names of the partitions to be used during the install!

It'll be something like:
          /dev/sda1 ntfs WinRE
          /dev/sda2 ntfs Vista
          /dev/sda3 extended
          /dev/sda5 ext4 /
          /dev/sda6 linux-swap
          /dev/sda7 ext4 /home

The advantage of a separate / and /home is you can re-install or update without loosing your /home with your settings and documents.

Comment

Okay guys,

What I did was use the live-cd and installed partitionmanager, but the HD refused to let me partition sda1 (Vista, the whole HD), so I did chkdsk /f on Windows, and now I have to go through the process to get partitionmanager again =P

Comment

You have to use VISTA'S partitioning tool to shrink the Vista partition, FIRST!

Comment

^ +1
                taken from link which dibl referred to:
                1. Boot into Windows Vista and shrink the Vista partition to free up some space

Note: There are third party software for shrinking hard drive partition but some are not fully compatible with Vista. So, it is best to use Vista’s native partition tool.

* Go to Disk Management – right-click “My Computer”, Manage, Disk Management.
                * Right-click on the main Vista partition and select Shrink Volume.
                * Set the amount of space to shrink in MB (It is best to have at least 10GB shrink space for your Linux).
                asus A52N
                Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
                AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
                windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

i did it from partitionmanager and it worked, but it ruined Vista lol, now that i have kubuntu installed i have new issues, which i will now post in a new thread

thanks for the replies =D

Comment

Originally posted by _Sophia
                    i did it from partitionmanager and it worked, but it ruined Vista lol, now that i have kubuntu installed i have new issues, which i will now post in a new thread

thanks for the replies =D
                    that's why they told you to use VISTA'S partitioning tool to shrink the Vista partition

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                    X