This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to kill a process...

Skype crashed and it's still in the processes list (i ran "top") and I can't kill the damn thing.
    Says it's using my CPU at 100% but everything else works just fine.
    I just press K and type in the PID and hit enter but nothing happens.

Any ideas? any other way to terminate a process?

Thanks,
    ElWray
    Core 2 Quad Q6600<br />4 GB RAM<br />GeForce 9800 GTX<br />Hitachi Deskstar 1TB<br />Seagate 250 GB<br /><br />Triple-booting Gentoo, Crunchbang &amp; Windows 7

Re: Unable to kill a process...

Hi

Hit ctrl+esc to launch the KDE system activity monitor. You can kill the process there.

HTH

Ian

Comment

Nope...that didn't do the trick. And apparently the CPU usage is still really high (as the system monitor shows). Everything else works pretty fast though.
      Core 2 Quad Q6600<br />4 GB RAM<br />GeForce 9800 GTX<br />Hitachi Deskstar 1TB<br />Seagate 250 GB<br /><br />Triple-booting Gentoo, Crunchbang &amp; Windows 7

Comment

Is there another process invoked by the application? For example if you stop a windows application you have to stop wine too.

Comment

Open a console and type:
          Code:
          Press q to quit top. Scroll up just a bit and copy the first two lines and paste in your reply. Then, still in the console, type:
          Code:
          ps -elF | grep Z
          Copy/paste the results.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

There was a power surge and that sovled the problem.
            But this might happen again so I'll just try to crash skype now and I'll post a reply as soon as I can.

Comment

As Snowhog wrote: type

Code:
              In the first column you'll see skype's pid - process identity number or some such, let's call it 1234 for argument's sake. Now type:

Code:
              kill -9 1234
              That should do it. It is much more comprehensive than for example killall skype.
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
              X