Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needing to uninstall new Nvidia driver and install the older driver[solved ]

Hi I have had a problem with a graphics card driver update I did a couple of days ago. I posted a topic and got some help, but I have not been able to correct the problem. The last suggestion I got was to uninstall the new driver and install the open one. I am not sure how to do that though. Thanks for the help here is my original post.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3115873.0

Thanks again.
    Asus eee pc 1215n Intel atom d525 1.8 GHz, 2 gb ram, intel integrated and nvidia ion discrete graphics, kubuntu 10.10.

Re: Needing to uninstall new Nvidia driver and install the older driver

I am assuming they your system is booting into a text console, and that you have already removed xserver-xorg-video-nouveau.

There are several ways you can install nvidia drivers for your system.

The easiest is:

sudo service kdm stop
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
    sudo service kdm start

If this doesn't work, or gives you any error messages, please post them.

The complete instructions for installing nvidia drivers, which covers all of the different ways of doing it, are here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107406.0

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Yes it is booting to a text console and I have removed the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau. Sorry for not being specific.

I tried that and it did not work the install said the driver was current. It didn't give any error messages there.

I tried the code from the link you posted sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates and that gave me an error message.

Error reading https://launchpad.net/api/1.0/~ubunt...ive/x-updates: <urlopen error [Errno -2] Name or service not know.

I did not try anything after that in case that error info is helpful.
      Asus eee pc 1215n Intel atom d525 1.8 GHz, 2 gb ram, intel integrated and nvidia ion discrete graphics, kubuntu 10.10.

Comment

Code:
        sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
        It looks like you did this right. I don't know why it would give you an error, unless for some reason it was down at the time you tried to add it. Maybe give it another try.

What happens when you try:
        sudo service kdm stop
        sudo service kdm start

If you don't get any error messages, try pressing CTRL-ALT-F8 and CTRL-ALT-F7 to see if one of those brings up the login screen. If not, then please post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file .

The other thing I find strange is that you are not getting the "low graphics mode" screen, which usually comes up when the video driver fails to load. One thing you might look at is what options your system is booting with in grub. When the grub menu appears, highlight the entry you want to boot, type e, and then look at the line that starts with linux. It should look like this:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-6-generic root=UUID=e75bf91b-d1f8-4be8-acf4-838b8b34a74d ro

If there are any other options, such as splash or vga= erase them and hit CTRL-X to boot.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

I tried the sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates again and it gave me the same message.

When I stop kdm it says kdm stop/waiting

When I start kdm it says kdm start/running, process 1403

I tried the CTRL-ALT-F8 and CTRL-ALT-F7 and it did not bring up the login screen.

When I type e this is what it says:

recordfail
          insmod part_msdos
          insmod ext2
          set root='(hd0,msdos5)'
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 20f2d194-6dcc-4ddb-b5fa-46fad560b\3c1
          linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-27-generic root=UUID=20f2d194-6dcc-4ddb-b\5fa-46fad560b3c1 ro quiet splash
          initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-27-generic

Should I erase the quiet splash?

Also how do I find out what my /var/log/Xorg.0.log file is?

Also I don't know if it matters, but my screen will flash a black screen when I am trying to login.

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with your grub boot file.

Do you get a graphical splash screen when the system is booting?

I am really confused by this. If kdm is not giving you an error message, then it should be giving you a graphical login screen, but it isn't. I don't get it.

What exactly does this mean:
            intel integrated and nvidia ion discrete graphics
            Do you have two separate video cards in your system? If so, can you disable the intel card in your BIOS? There could be some kind of hardware conflict there, and it could be a problem even if the card is disabled, but it's worth a try.

What we really need to see is your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file. You can see it by typing:
            cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
            What you are looking for is the lines that have NVIDIA in them. See if there are any errors there, or better yet, try to post that file here.

Comment

I don't get any graphics when the system is booting.

The intel graphics are on he cpu die and are used for programs that don't need the discrete gpu hp, but when you run a program that takes a lot of graphic hp the discrete gpu takes over and it will switch between the two to save power. It uses NVIDIA OPTIMUS technology.

The cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log went by really fast the only things I saw that were a problem were:
              [ 52.188] (EE) No devices detected
              Fatal server error:
              [ 52.188] no screens found
              [ 52.188]

Those were the only errors that I could see.

I checked and there wasn't an option to disable either gpus in the bios.

Comment

[ 52.188] (EE) No devices detected
                Yeah, well that's a problem.

My guess is that either the driver or xorg itself is not detecting the video hardware, due to the switching involved.

Unless someone here has already solved this, you might have more luck with it on the NVIDIA linux forum.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Just quickly scanning the posts, there appear to be several threads regarding two or more gpus.

You might also take a look at the release notes (which is a very long document) for your driver version on the NVIDIA website. There might be something in there that specifically addresses this problem. One thing that comes immediately to mind is how your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file is set up -- there may be some specific entry needed to make the gpu switching work.

Sorry I can't be of more help on it -- this is the kind of thing one really needs to experiment with first hand, and I don't have this kind of setup.

Comment

I appreciate all your help. Thank you If I can get it fixed i will post the solution hopefully it will help someone else. Thanks again.

Comment

I did some quick searching, and the news is probably not what you want to hear.

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/201...pport-for.html

and others come to a similar conclusion -- that NVIDIA Optimus is not, and will not be, supported on Linux.

Another search hit suggested that the nouveau driver may work better than the proprietary NVIDIA drivers. It might be worth a try, though my most recent attempts to use nouveau, even with the gallium libraries installed, failed to produce any 3d acceleration. Nonetheless, you might try the nouveau website and its associated forum for a possible solution.

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/
                    http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/GalliumHowto

Edit: see here for instructions on how to install the nouveau driver

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/UbuntuPackages

Comment

Re: Needing to uninstall new Nvidia driver and install the older driver[solved kinda

i reinstalled the neuveau driver and now my screen is upside down. Any suggestions? thanks for your help.

Comment

Re: Needing to uninstall new Nvidia driver and install the older driver[solved kinda

That's a new one on me.

Maybe:
                        System Settings > Display and Monitor > Orientation

Comment

Originally posted by mowens01
                          i reinstalled the neuveau driver and now my screen is upside down. Any suggestions? thanks for your help.
                          Try

Code:
                          sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_bak
                          Then reboot the system.

Comment

Re: Needing to uninstall new Nvidia driver and install the older driver[solved ]

That worked perfectly thanks dibl and doctordruiphd I was starting to go through withdraws with my linux thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                            X