This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing panels on 3 of 4 desktops

Hello everyone, I am new to kde & Kubuntu.

I'm trying to figure out what happened to my panel on 3 of 4 desktops, and how to get them back. I have compiz running & have reloaded the compiz window manager a couple times, as well as updated and restarted a couple times.

Kubuntu 10.10 - standard install on partitioned disk.
    kde - 4.5.1
    Desktop computer
    4GB of RAM - 4GB Swap
    2 internal SATA hdd's
    Code:
    apt-cache show grub | grep ersion
    Version: 0.97-29ubuntu60
    Description: GRand Unified Bootloader (Legacy version)
    I don't see how it's possible that I'm using grub legacy I also have Ubuntu 10.10, Linux Mint-10, along with Ubuntu & Kubuntu Natty alpha 3 installed in separate partitions. Oh, and Fedora.

Code:
    lscpu
    Architecture:     x86_64
    CPU op-mode(s):    32-bit, 64-bit
    CPU(s):        2
    Thread(s) per core:  1
    Core(s) per socket:  2
    CPU socket(s):     1
    NUMA node(s):     1
    Vendor ID:       GenuineIntel
    CPU family:      6
    Model:         15
    Stepping:       13
    CPU MHz:        1200.000
    L1d cache:       32K
    L1i cache:       32K
    L2 cache:       1024K
    Code:
    lspci | grep graphic
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    I started this thread to find out what happened to my panels, but also, what's up with it saying I'm using Grub Legacy?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Missing panels on 3 of 4 desktops

IIRC Fedora may not have moved to Grub 2 yet so maybe it's controlling Grub?

On the panels question, You can reinstate them by simply unlocking widgets and adding the panel widget. Why they went is anyone's guess.

However, your kde is a little out of date. The current version is 4.6.1. However, the latest 4.5 version 4.5.5 is probably your best bet and you can install it with help from this link:

http://www.kubuntu.org/kde-sc-4.5.5

It is possible that due to structural changes there is a risk that when you reboot you might be faced with a black desktop (although things like alt+F2 will still work). If you get this, or possibly to prevent it first, run the following command in a terminal

Code:
    sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop
    HTH

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
      IIRC Fedora may not have moved to Grub 2 yet so maybe it's controlling Grub?

On the panels question, You can reinstate them by simply unlocking widgets and adding the panel widget. Why they went is anyone's guess.

However, your kde is a little out of date. The current version is 4.6.1. However, the latest 4.5 version 4.5.5 is probably your best bet and you can install it with help from this link:

http://www.kubuntu.org/kde-sc-4.5.5

It is possible that due to structural changes there is a risk that when you reboot you might be faced with a black desktop (although things like alt+F2 will still work). If you get this, or possibly to prevent it first, run the following command in a terminal

Code:
      sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop
      HTH

Ian
      Great!!! Thank you very much Liquidator.

I've got KDE 4.5.5 & I also have my panels back.

I had tried that with the panels, but was a little concerned because I have the compiz-fusion-icon added to my panel & set to auto start. If it doesn't my system will freeze due a poor graphics card.

Now, to figure out what's going on with Grub. Linux Mint should be in control of Grub. I forgot to mention that I also have PCLinuxOS and it uses grub legacy, but I have to go into grub.cfg and change (hd,0,5) to (hd,0,6) before I can even log into PCLinuxOS, because of the the numbering differences between grub2 & legacy. So it doesn't make sense that I can log into every OS, except PCLinuxOS if in fact I have grub legacy installed. I may be able to handle this one, but if you've got any tips. I'm open to suggestion.

Thanks again,
      Dutch70

Comment

Given that the largest number of OS's I've ever had on my system is 2 (Linux and Windows - which I now run as a Virtual Machine instead) I'm not qualified to meaningfully comment on that one!

On another topic I would ask about your use of compiz within a KDE environment. Whilst I know there's nothing intrinsically wrong with doing so are there any effects that you are using that aren't available within those offered by kwin (kmenu/system settings/desktop effects/all effects)?

Comment

I'm not really sure. I didn't get much of a chance to use the ones offered by kwin. When I first start my system, I get a pop up saying desktop effects are too slow & will be disabled. If I enable them anyway, my system freezes.

That being said, Compiz also causes my system to freeze/hang. The reason I went with Compiz is that I know a workaround. It's in post #22 of this thread if you care to look.
          http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1307001&page=3
          It works very well in Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Linux Mint-Julia as well. Although I have no idea why.
          I never had the problem at all in Ubuntu 8.04.

Comment

I get that error message as well. I am cursed with the intel 915 graphics card.

However, my main issue (and possibly yours) is that the kde devs have inserted a functionality check. If your card does not perform does not perform certain things to a certain level it gets reported as too slow and desktop effects are turned off. However, most effects would perform acceptably (with the exception of Blur, which with humble graphics cards is generally considered to be best avoided).

Within the desktop effects section (forget which tab it is - I'm at a win box right now) there is a box whereby you can disable the functionality check. Try it. It will stop the switch-off and enable you to experiment with the effects.

Comment

I tried that when I had Kubuntu-desktop installed onto Ubuntu. It never really worked out, I had lots of freezing problems that may or may not be associated. Now I have Kubuntu in it's own partition on a different hdd, and it is working beautifully with Compiz. I really don't want to go back and try it on here. Although I may try it in 11.04, today in fact. .

If you have an Intel graphics card, and desktop effects don't work absolutely perfect for you, I strongly suggest trying Compiz with the workaround I use. I've given it to several other people with different Intel graphics cards.

Here is a thread from someone with a different Intel graphics card, that it worked for.
              http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1696945

Here is another, although he has the same card, this guy is kinna funny.
              http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1690829

It doesn't work for everyone, but it definitely works for some.

Edit: btw, after looking at kwin a little bit. I believe the settings and options in compiz with extra plug-ins are probably way more than what kwin offers AFAIK. I uploaded 2 pics of the compiz plug ins to my post in that 2nd link I gave you, because they we're too big to upload here. You wouldn't believe the settings that are in one plug in if you've never used it.

Comment

Thanks for that.

With this card I won't be signing up for a World of Warcraft subscription any time soon (although my offspring will probably breathe a sigh of relief anyway)!

For kwin desktop effects the card works fine, and once I turned off the functionality checks I didn't have any problem. From the point of view of freezing I would hope that your upgrade to Kde 4.5.5 will help somewhat.

Edit :

PS - I must confess I did use compiz (and Beryl) in my kde3 days and it was somewhat flaky at the time and I've tended to steer clear of it since, but I take your point on it being more comprehensive

Comment

Yeah, I have too many effects enabled on Ubuntu. Now it tends to get on my nerves. At the same time, I would be at a disadvantage in how I used my system if I didn't have it. I would have to learn to use it differently.

Well it's been good talking to you Liquidator. Feel free to pm me anytime.
                  Should I close this thread, or mark it solved or something?

Comment

I'm not sure you have had an answer to your grub question yet

However, maybe that's got lost in our graphics card chat and it might be worth your while posing it as a separate question.

Good luck managing all those distros

Comment

Working...
                    X