This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KUBUNTU 10.10 HELP WITH NETWORKS

right doing a fresh clean install now and at the preparing to install screnn still have a red circle at internet connection but going ahead and letting it run fully anyway with ethernet plugged in from before started, although the port in use on the router has never been lit yet? ethernet cable is working fine as tested it on one of my netbooks and router port lights up and wired connection good?

dont think this is gonna work will post back in 20 mins or so when complete, if this does not work i think im gonna have to give up and try something else?

i only choose this one to start with as other dell d600 users had said it worked great and other ideas of a good plug and play o/s user friendly i can try and where to get it?

thanks grant

Comment

Actually Grant there is another option

http://support.dell.com/support/down...&fileid=421648

Basically this is a DVD available from Dell that will set up ubuntu (you can install KDE later on it if you wish) on your machine and also create a recovery partition.

Given where it is coming from I would hope it would work

Ian

Comment

thansk for that Ian i am downloading it just now and will give it a bash in a bit when its downloaded, will update if it works or not etc

grant

Comment

I still think checking that the ethernet card is actually not dead would be a good step, using a livecd that is NOT ubuntu-based just to make sure. If the wired is not working on the kUbuntu live session, it most likely will not work after the installation. The one good thing about the dell dvd is that it should provide the broadcom drivers, assuming that the model 2120 it is built for uses broadcom wireless chips

Comment

well installed the dell ubuntu and it's the same no network wired or wifi nothing showing either, this is the strngest thing even if i accepted the wired was knackered somehow the wifi was working the night before i changed the o/s ?
            i suppose this one may not have the drivers for the d600 also

Comment

Working...
            X