This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KUBUNTU 10.10 HELP WITH NETWORKS

Hi folks im grant and VERY VERY new to linux having only installed a couple of versions in the past, and been a windows man all my days!!.
    anyway installed kubuntu 10.10 on a dell d600 as there was plenty reviews about everything working ok, but cant seem to get the internet? system tray says wired and wifi enabled but has a red cross and when i go to network connections area everything is greyed out apart from VPN and gives me no options nor does it say i have any networks? or adapters?

now sorry if this is a daft question but how do i get this to work lol, everything worked before as was running xp last night wifi no probs?

all and any help welcome and thanks in advance, need to learn lol

Re: KUBUNTU 10.10 HELP WITH NETWORKS

start by opening a terminal, typing ifconfig and iwconfig and then search this forum for solutions.

See the ReadMe link in my sig also...

Please Read Me

Comment

i will go and do that now, is that like command prompt then?, also i assume with 40 views and 1 reply telling me to search the forum for answers that this should not be like this and no one knows?

grant

Comment

Welcome to the forums wrxfifer!

Actually the problem is likely trivial, but there is no information on which to base an answer. The output of ifconfig and iwconfig will give some specifics. The "red cross" just says it isn't on - nothing more.

As for the 40 views, I have a number of forums and web sites on line and I still can't figure out what that number really means. In this case probably a member or two had a look but didn't feel comfortable with networking, and the other 30 something are random hits off the net - maybe also some bots.

BTW: the "ifconfig" command is almost the same as in MS-Windows where it is "ipconfig".

Edit: Oops, I forgot to address your "command line" comment. I'm not sure if you're kidding or not, but the answer is yes. You open a terminal by clicking on an icon that looks like a monitor. It will probably say Konsole. Then you can type the word "ifconfig" and it will respond with information about your network. The same goes for "iwconfig" which is about the wireless. This is way faster and easier than clicking on stuff and much more informative as well as 100% reliable, which is particularly important when troubleshooting.

Comment

Edit: Oops, I forgot to address your "command line" comment. I'm not sure if you're kidding or not, but the answer is yes. You open a terminal by clicking on an icon that looks like a monitor. It will probably say Konsole. Then you can type the word "ifconfig" and it will respond with information about your network. The same goes for "iwconfig" which is about the wireless. This is way faster and easier than clicking on stuff and much more informative as well as 100% reliable, which is particularly important when troubleshooting.

thanks for reply Juul i really appreciate it but i am unsure how to di this even? i see a command and type it in there with no results? and cant see anything that looks like a tv?, i really know nothing about Kubuntu at all and sorry for my novice skills

but i really want this sorted if poss as the laptop is no good without network

thanks Grant

Comment

ok got it now so typed in iwconfig and got
            lo o wireless exensions

and type in ifconfig and get

lo link encap:local loopback
            innet addr:127.0.0.1 mask:225.0.0.0
            innet 6 addr::: 1/128 scope:host
            up loopback running mtu:6436 metric:1
            rx packets:116 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
            tx packets:116 errors:0 dropped0 overruns:0 carrier:0
            collisions:0 txqueuelan:0

rx bytes:8984 (8.7kb) tx bytes:8784 (8.7kb)

now this is exact lol so hope someone knows what this means as i certianly dont!!

thanks Grant

Comment

Hi Grant

Can you open up a terminal and type

Code:
              lspci
              That will tell us what ethernet and wireless adapters you have.

Unless you have an obscure ethernet card, simply plugging in an ethernet cable ought to produce a connection. That might be important, depending upon the output you get from the terminal with the above command.

Comment

thanks for the reply liquidator, this is a nightmare lol as having to write it all down as no writer or anything to copy to the copy and paste here, but here goes

not it all as theres loads lol

broadcom bcm4318 (air force 1 54g) wireless lan controller
                pci bridge intel corporation 82801 mobile pci bridge
                ati radeion rv250

isa bridge intel corporation 82801dbm (ICH-M) lpc interface bridge rev01

hope this helps as clearly one is wifi

Comment

Okay

You need to be running a wired connection.

I'll minimise the command line use - excessive exposure at the start can put newcomers off.

Open the package manager kpackagekit

Then select the software updates tab then check for updates. That will generate a full package list as at this point I think your computer probably only knows about those on the CD.

You can then install the updates at this point if you want - there will be a couple of hundred updated packages. Whether or not you do this you then need to select get and remove software and in the search box type b43 and you should see the package b43-fwcutter package. Select the package and click install.

Follow the instructions here
                  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...0b43%20drivers

Once installed reboot and your wireless should work

Comment

right i am in kpackagekit then software updates then check for updates and im getting a box up saying cannot get the exclusive lock on the

Comment

also if i stick an ethernet cable in nothing happens? nothing in network manager everything still greyed out etc?

Comment

i assume thisis because the network adapter is not working either

Comment

Everything I have read about this laptop suggests there should not be a problem connecting with an ethernet cable.

Was the cable plugged in before you rebooted?

I wonder whether for some reason something has happened to disable the network manager (in which case you won't connect).

In which case please try this (in a terminal)

Code:
                          sudo service network-manager stop
                          rm /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state
                          service network-manager start
                          You will be asked for your password (sudo is the comand you use to raise your level to administrator).

Once you have run that, assuming no error messages, do you have ethernet?

Comment

Originally posted by wrxfifer
                            right i am in kpackagekit then software updates then check for updates and im getting a box up saying cannot get the exclusive lock on the
                            That will happen if you have no network connection

Comment

right i dont know if this matters and am trying here lol, thanks for helping it's very appreciated, at the point of install etc no ethernet cable was connected just power supply after installation complete there was 3 things that was preffered internet connection being one of them which i assumed i did not have? no drivers etc

so before i plugged in ethernet cable just now i tried what you said and got this lock message? then decided to plug in in as i would normally for any other wired connection in my house from laptop direct to my router/modem this registers nothing on the laptop nor does the specific port on the router light up as it should to say its in use? have tried all 4 and all the same? i can confirm my network/wifi/router/modem is working fine 100%

Comment

Working...
                              X