Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[RESOLVED] Mouse lags to extreme with few applications running.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Mouse lags to extreme with few applications running.

Kubuntu10.10
    Platform Version 4.6.0(KDE 4.6.0)
    Version: 0.97-29ubuntu60
    Description: GRand Unified Bootloader (Legacy version)
    desktop computer
    AMD 9600 Quad Core 2300mhz 64 bit
    GPU PNY 9600 nVidia GeForce 500mb ddr2 SDRAM 667mhz
    4gb Axiom EEC DDR2 SDRAM 6700mhz
    HDD Maxtor internal SATA 500gb
    Optical Drive internal SATA DVDRW 16X
    Kmail
    Logitech K350 2.4Ghz Wireless Logitech MX1100 Cordless Laser Mouse
    Monitor 0 ViewSonic 27" Monitor 1 Acer 22"

I recently configured a dual-monitor installation. With perhaps a video playing and Dolphin and a Browser active, I am using approximately 1.4gb memory of 4gb. Each time I attempt to move the mouse, I have to wait for it to engage, sometimes a few seconds. When I click the mouse, many times I have to click several times before the mouse-click is recognized, then activated. The keyboard and mouse are less than a month old and the batteries have been refreshed on the mouse. The keyboard seems to function perfectly. Prior to installing and configuring the monitors, everything responded crisply. I have closed all applications except a dvd running so that nothing else is running, and still the mouse lags. Additionally, I have lost the use of my "Desktop Effects" since the installation of the dual monitors. Desktop Effects worked perfectly up to that point, in fact, the "All Effects" folder is completely empty now, no apps. Occassionally, when I open an application on one monitor, it actually opens on the other monitor screen. It can be dragged back and forward without problem, providing the mouse is engaging properly and not lagging. Each monitor operates independently from the other; both have a panel to open packages. I read someone having the selfsame sounding problem, excepting in an older version of Kubuntu. The solution was to add noapic to the Menu.lst, however, in my Meerkat 64 bit OS, no such file exists. Thanks in advance for any help. :P

Unfortunately my computer locked up so bad, I could not get it working by myself and had to reinstall the OS. The mouse is working much better, however, it still lags when two or more things are working at the same time. I could only find a 32 bit disc to reinstall, so I am not back to the 64 bit system. I am going to relax a bit before recreating what may have begun the problem, and to then resolve the problem. I need a break, with things working more smoothly for a while. (I am not sure, but a problem with Akonadi may be in the middle of the problem.) Thanks to all who read and were available to help, especially Dr. Druid, Phd.

Re: Mouse lags to extreme with few applications running.

If you want to add the noapic option to grub, you can do it temporarily for testing by highlighting the system you want to boot in the grub menu, then press e , then move using the cursor keys to the end of the linux line and type it in. Boot by pressing CTRL-X

If that fixes it, you can make the change permanent by editing /etc/default/grub , adding the option to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX line and then running sudo update-grub .

Sorry, I don't know more about the problem itself. You could try running top in a terminal to see if some process is taking up a lot of cpu slices.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Before you replied to my post, my machine locked up so bad it took a reinstall of Meerkat to get the system open and on line again.

I only have one monitor installed so far; the "Desktop Effects" was restored with the installation, however, the lagging mouse was not improved.

The mouse is a Logitech MX 1100, less than a month old and has fresh batteries installed yesterday. Still it lags. I am not sure that adding noapic to the grub will not fix the mouse problem and maybe the dual-monitor too, but I am unclear in your instruction.

Upon rebooting I entered the boot menu by depressing Ctrl f8. The screen that appeared only had CD and HDD for choices to boot. It is a blue screen with white writing. I expected a konsole appearance with options like safe mode as an option and perhaps alternate choices of kernel. My inexperience is probably showing. In any event, I highlighted the HDD option and pressed 'e' as per your instruction. Nothing happened, so I pressed 'Enter' and the system booted up.

If your instruction was to use the command line, What do I enter to get the grub menu? Additionally, this installation of the OS is already acting buggy. I attempted to browse a question and had difficulties connecting to links. I believe it may be related to the mouse problem, however, if this is a bug in meerkat, would it be a dual-monitor or mouse report or ?. Do you know a way to use my computer to diagnose if there is a problem with my new mouse? Thanks friend.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. I assumed you were booting from an installed system on the hard disk.

The CTRL-F8 and CD/HDD screen are from your computer's BIOS. They simply control whether the computer looks for boot files on the CD or on the hard disk. If you have kubuntu installed on your hard disk, turning on your computer should take you directly to the grub menu, for which my instructions were written.

If you are booting from the CD, I believe there is a way to enter the nioapic option (and other options as well), though I have not done a fresh install for a while so I really don't know how they do it now. There used to be an "expert" option that would let you put those options in, but it may be different now.

One thing you might try, as I had a similar problem with a webcam once. Try plugging your mouse into a different USB port -- that did fix my problem.

Hopefully someone out there more familiar with bootup problems can give more information on this.
        We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Thanks for your help, Dr. Druid, Phd. I am alone and do not have friends who are interested in Linux. As a consequence, when I have a problem that leaves me inaccessible to the Internet for help, I have to resort to more drastic solutions just to retain a working computer. Perhaps I started at too old age, but I love it. I even enjoy working over-my-head, as evidenced by running Meerkat with my low level of understanding. I sure appreciate people like you, who are willing to give me a leg up when I am having problems that I can not resolve, even with the wonderful access to information and Wiki and forums that usually have solutions there for the using. Thanks again, friend; you are most appreciated.

Comment

Working...
          X