Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Graphics card update now boots to command line [solved].

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Graphics card update now boots to command line.

I'm kind new to linux to, and have an ATI card (boycotting nvidia) but here are a few interesting reads that may help-

Problem: Need to fully remove -nvidia and reinstall -nv from scratch

Some commands I find helpful when diagnosing problems with my GFX card-

cd /etc/X11 && ls

pico /etc/X11/xorg.conf

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-backup
    Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Do you see something like the letters TTY?

woodsmoke

Comment

Where would I look for that?
        Asus eee pc 1215n Intel atom d525 1.8 GHz, 2 gb ram, intel integrated and nvidia ion discrete graphics, kubuntu 10.10.

Comment

do you come up to a black screen with a lot of white text scrolling down and then something like log into TTY-1 or TTY-2?

woodsmoke

Comment

Re: Graphics card update now boots to command line [solved sort of].

I don't think I saw any of that, I reinstalled the nouveau driver and the gui started working again except the screen is upside down now. If you have any advice on that I would appreciate it.
            Asus eee pc 1215n Intel atom d525 1.8 GHz, 2 gb ram, intel integrated and nvidia ion discrete graphics, kubuntu 10.10.

Comment

Re: Graphics card update now boots to command line [solved sort of].

system / settings display

However, I'm running Trinity desktop so don't have access to the correct path probably.

There is a resize and rotate function, and it may be in another menu item. The symbol is a little black screen with a diagonal arrow.

In terminal you can enter: "xrandr" and you will be given various options and then xrandr option.

Also there is an applet, probably the one I mentioned above, called "randr" in the repos. it has grandr, lxrandr, and other iterations.

Anything other than what I posted here and you are now beyond my poor attempt to help and should wait for a more knowledgeable person.

Comment

Re: Graphics card update now boots to command line [solved].

I got it working by reinstalling the nouveau driver, but that turned my screen upside down. I got some help geting that fixed with sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_bak. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                X