Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Graphics card update now boots to command line [solved].

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphics card update now boots to command line [solved].

Hi I did a driver update for my Nvidia Ion graphics card now my laptop boots to the command line. I not sure of the exact model, but any help would be appreciated.
    Asus eee pc 1215n Intel atom d525 1.8 GHz, 2 gb ram, intel integrated and nvidia ion discrete graphics, kubuntu 10.10.

Re: Graphics card update now boots to command line.

When you say boots, you mean that it doesn't show a login screen, correct? And is it a command line from GRUB, or from Kubuntu?

If from GRUB, I can't help you

If from Kubuntu, you can try logging in first, if possible. Then, once it loads your login information, you can either hit "alt+ctrl+F7", in that order, and it will hopefully move you to a GUI login. If that doesn't work, try typing in
    Code:
    startx
    if it mentions a server error about it being unable to start the X server, you can either attempt to wait it out, try the "alt" version from above, or restart your computer. If neither of those ways work, its out of my small grasp. Hope it does work though
    Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

When it boots I can enter my login and password. Then it acts like im in the termianl. I tried the startx and it told me there were no visible desk tops if that helps.
      Asus eee pc 1215n Intel atom d525 1.8 GHz, 2 gb ram, intel integrated and nvidia ion discrete graphics, kubuntu 10.10.

Comment

Ugh..no visible desk top..that is frustrating. I really don't know what to do with that, perhaps a smarter person can come along and help you out, cause I'm now clueless. Though, when they do come along, I can learn something hopefully. I hope they come quickly to your aid!
        Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

I know there is someone out there that can help me thanks for your time though I appreciate it.

Comment

one question is what driver did you update, or rather how you did it. What file did you use, or did you do it from the package manager?

Comment

I think it had something to do with 3d graphics and I did it through the package manager.

Comment

I've never heard of "no visible desktops". Sure it wasn't "no screens found" ?

Anyway, start by typing dmesg |tail -20 and then cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep EE and see what you find.

Please Read Me

Comment

You were right it says no screen found. The dmesg command gave me mostly information about bluetooth and the Xorg command said [ 118.154] (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER and [ 118.171 (EE) No devices detected.

Comment

Do you have the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf ? If yes, rname it and reboot. If that doesn't help or you don't have it, try reconfiguring X:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Please Read Me

Comment

i tried to enter the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf and it said -bash: /etc/X11/xorg.conf: Permission Denied. How would I rename it? Sorry if that is a stupid question I'm not sure what you meant.

Comment

it entails some command-line fun:

Code:
                        sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-backup
                        this will rename the file, if it exists. Modifying this file requires admin privileges, so sudo is required.
                        The xorg.conf file isn't a required file anymore, though it does exist sometimes when using the proprietary drivers.

Also, if you remember, could you tell us what the name of the driver package you installed was? That info might be usefull.

Comment

I think I told you wrong I don't think it was the package manager. I just clicked the icon under applications that looked like a graphics card and it said there was an updated driver for my card.

After entering the code it told me mv: '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' : No such file or directory

Comment

ok, then you definitely installed supported drivers Just wanted to make sure on that.

You don't have an xorg.conf, which is OK

Actually, look here:
                            https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...erHowto/Nvidia
                            it mentions that the driver in 10.10 (assuming you are running Maverick) is broken.
                            there is a link with more info there, but it may not be an issue on your gpu.

It does mention having to possibly manually activate the driver from the commandline.

So using info from the help page, first we will uninstall any existing Nouveau ope-source drivers:

Code:
                            sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
                            just in case the driver update tool did not do this automatically

then we will try running
                            Code:
                            sudo nvidia-xconfig
                            to set up the driver (and most likely create an xorg.conf file).

then reboot and see if that does it.

If not, we may have to uninstall the driver, reinstall the open one, and at least get you back with a gui

Comment

I did that and it did not work it went to the same screen like the terminal as before.

Comment

Working...
                              X