X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless drivers Intel

Please help me anyone!
    I've just installed Kubuntu 10.10 on a FujitsuSiemens K7600, wireless is driven by the Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG, but I just can't get it to work.
    No drivers, no packages, no internet...

Re: Wireless drivers Intel

plug it in via a wire. and use the program jockey to find your drivers, if you dont' have access to wired internet the process is a bit trickier. you would then have to find out the chipset the card has. (i have a feeling its a broadcom one) and then download the packages on another computer and manually install them, if this is the case we need output of lshw that pertains to that card. so someone can tell you what driver you need.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Hi and welcome

No previous knowledge assumed.

Reading this

http://intellinuxwireless.org/

The driver for the card should be already in the kernel so it should work.

Step 1 Ensure your wireless is actually turned on (I shouldn't ask I know but I will )

Step 2 Check the system tray - is the network manager icon displayed? Click on it and see if a WLAN network interface is shown. Is there anything there? If not,

Step 3 Connect to a wired connection and open a terminal (quickest way is to hit alt+F2 and type konsole. In the box type the following:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      Then Return then your password then return again.
      This updates the package list retained by your system.

When activity finishes type
      Code:
      sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      That will download and install all available updates. One of these might just be the "magic bullet".

Reboot. Is it now working? If not

Step 4 Select kmenu and then the applications tab. Then system/additional drivers. Does the system suggest you need another driver to make it work? If so, connect to a wired connection and download the driver and install it.

Let us know how you get on.

Ian

Comment

Most wifi chips work out of the box, but yours can be problematic.

Open a Konsole and issue:
        lsmod | grep iwl3945

If the lsmod command does not show the 3945 module then issue:
        modprobe iwl3945

Then open the KNetworkmanger app and see if it lists any local ESSID's. Your wireless light, if your PC has one, should come on too.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X