X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

attach files to email

Hello,

I don't seem able to attach files to e-mail in firefoxbrowser (FF3.6.13 in Lucid 0.97-29ubuntu60
    , KDE4.4.5).
    Get a 0 file error and nothing gets attached,
    can anybody help?

They do attach after I change (or just retype) the file name in the (Dolphin) properties menu, but not after renaming via the rename button?!

So I guess the real question is; why do Oculair and Open Office save my documents without the proper extension? (as bin??) They do open as odt or pdf or whatever, but once I want to attach them to e-mail it brings up this error..

Re: attach files to email

when you say e-mail, how does e-mail work within firefox?

are you just talking about using gmail or some sort of webmail access?
    Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
    Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
    Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

FireFox 3.6.13 has built in email? I wasn't aware of that. SeaMonkey does, but I'm pretty sure FF does not. That's why ThunderBird exists, or KMail.

While setting on a web page you can email a link to it using File --> Send Link.
      That will open up the email client you have indicated as the default on the KGear --> Settings -->System Settings. On System-Settings chose Default Applications --> Email Client. There set either KMail or "Use a Different Client". Set to your favorite.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I use FF 3.6.13 and webmail. So far I have not seen any problem with attachments on several different servers. Some servers won't take certain executables however. It sounds like there is something else going on here.

Comment

I'm still not clear on everything. What webmail service are you using? Hotmail? Gmail?

And what do you mean by executable? An open office document is by default saved as .odt. Are you saying that your webmail does not support this as an attachment? If so, I'm flabbergasted because the webmail shouldn't care about what the extension of the attachment is.
          Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200

Comment

Originally posted by rfakhrai
            I'm still not clear on everything. What webmail service are you using? Hotmail? Gmail?

And what do you mean by executable? An open office document is by default saved as .odt. Are you saying that your webmail does not support this as an attachment? If so, I'm flabbergasted because the webmail shouldn't care about what the extension of the attachment is.
            I don't think the OP mentioned executable, that was me. Sorry. Yes, files ending in .exe and so forth are filtered by some services in order to protect some hapless MS-Windows users. Personally, I would never even consider Hotmail, Gmail etc etc but I"m sure they don't care about spam or virii since their reputation is already shot. Anyway, we do need some clarity from the OP because it sounds like she is dealing with a chain involving Ocular and Open Office. We'll see.

Comment

in any webservice e-mail.. In gmail, hotmail, blackboard university mail.

Comment

apparently saving as pdf or odt does not really work the way it should, the web-mailclients don't seem to actually see the files or to recognize them as bin (until I change the name in the properties menu, that is)

Tried attaching a pdf (i just created with OO) too the post, but it doesn't support files of this type (bin apparently, although it holds the pdf pictogram)

Comment

I don't know what to tell you

I've been using gmail for years and often send odt, ods, pdf to myself from my school webmail client. I've never had any issue.

Out of curiosity, what do you change the name to in the properties menu?

Comment

I just retype the name with a .and the proper extension pdf or odt

As I understand it they could just be called bin because of not being recognized otherwise.. Is that correct?

Comment

I've used AOL mail, via browser (Firefox and Chromium) forever, and attached all manner of files to messages. I also have a gmail account that I use once in awhile, and no issues with that one either. I think something else is going on with the OP's system -- not using UTF-8 encoding, non-standard filesystem, or something.

For example, is this a WUBI system, sharing data on a Windows NTFS partition, or something like that? Because neither Linux nor web browsers care anything at all about filename extensions in DOS 8.3 format.

Comment

I've got an NTFS partition (no windows installed btw), but it's just for storage and not the place these files are kept or saved to before mailing (usually use the desktop folder for that).. Just upgraded to Maverick and the problem persists

Also, it's a recent problem of mine.. I used to be able to attach files to email just fine
                        So apparently they do care?(or at least the email; linux shows the right pictogram + opens the files normally) but retyping the name with extension solves the email problem; off course I don't want to have to do that every time..

Comment

As an experiment, can you open Konqueror, get into your web e-mail with it, and then try sending a message with an attachment? Hopefully this experiment will reveal whether it is an issue that affects all browsers, or only FF.

Comment

Konquerer seems to do the trick alright..

Comment

Well, now we know where to point the accusatory finger, eh?

I don't know what the problem with Firefox is, but the problem is in Firefox.

Comment

Working...
                              X