This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to access a school printer

Is it possible for me to find the restrictions placed as a non-root? Or do I have to boot up a LiveCD/USB OS to find out?
    Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

There can be an account template skeleton in /etc/skel which is used when new accounts are created. In it one can set their own executable shell to be used in place of bash, and in it set up any rights, paths or conditions in ~/.bashrc or ~/.profile. when the account is created that shell is what is booted. They probably set it so that the menu options have the full path in the command textbox, which is why they work from the menu, but not from your Konsole.

Or, they could have done something as simple as modify the PATH in /etc/bash.bashrc or /etc/profile.

Regardless, you can modify ~/.bashrc or ~/.profile and set up a normal PATH so that /sbin and /usr/sbin and /usr/local/sbin are in it.

Or, even better and easier, you can edit the shell profile in Konsole and on the general tab is a button marked "Environment". click it and a text box appears in which you can add additional path statements like:
      PATH = $PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GreyGeek...quite a bit of what you just said totally lost me. Like, I'm reading this, and am going :-X quite literally. In that sequence...is it possible to either dumb it down, or add a bunch of details to help me out some?
        Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

Before you fly F16s you must first get your single engine-land rating, then progress to IFR training, followed by multi-engine ratings and then turbine rating. You can't jump from not knowing how to fly to asking for instructions on how to tune two engines so that hetrodyning doesn't drive the passengers crazy.

Is it possible for me to find the restrictions placed as a non-root?
          You have a lot to learn about Linux before you can make sense out of how to do that. A forum msg box is not an ideal way to teach all that you need to learn. Sorry.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I like that quote, and it is very true. If its not possible to teach me, then I guess it doesn't work, haha. I actually got my hands on a book that teaches the bash shell. Like, not just the commands, but like everything about it. I'm looking forward to reading it, and I hope it helps explain what you said. Someday.

But, two simple questions to ask[though I doubt the answers will be simple]:

First, how difficult would it be to find the printers while scanning with my card?

Second, is it or is it not possible to merge the three partitions into one? I can boot up a LiveCD, and list out all the files in each partition if it makes it easier to answer. Because if I can do that, I'm going to immediately install Kubuntu alongside the current OS, and then have root access as well as other things.

Comment

First, how difficult would it be to find the printers while scanning with my card?
              Network printers? If you don't know their IP address or you can't use NET commands to list them, it will be tough.

Second, is it or is it not possible to merge the three partitions into one? I can boot up a LiveCD, and list out all the files in each partition if it makes it easier to answer. Because if I can do that, I'm going to immediately install Kubuntu alongside the current OS, and then have root access as well as other things.
              If I were you I'd stick with the LiveCD. What your suggesting is possible, but without knowing how you'll blow away your current OS, SUSE. Besides, if you do it, or even try, the school admins, if they are any good, will find out. Also, in the US, doing that without permission will put you in felony violation of Federal Laws. Buy an old junk box, install Kubuntu on it, and study and practice till you learn.

Comment

Well, I'm safe by the feds, because its my personal computer that I bought with my own money. And since its a private school, they have their own technical law. And I'm assuming there is no lovely code through ifconfig that shows like...all the IP's on a server, and possible their name. My roomie has windows on his computer, so we might be able to install a sniffer[?] of sorts that could detect the printer IP numbers..not sure though.

Concerning the 'old junk box' thats actually exactly what I own at the moment, haha. I have plans of purchasing two or three new[er] computers though, and yes I need that many. :P
                But I'm planning on using one for purely testing out new ideas, new products offered by Kubuntu, etc. etc. Another will be for Windows/Linux using GNOME boot[mainly for games, and the odd chance the gaming computer needs Linux] and the last will be purely Kubuntu.

You say its doable? How would I do it..through a Konsole? Or just drag and drop with Dolphin..?

Comment

Install nmap and read its manual and online docs, but becareful you limit it to 192.*.*.* and 10.*.*.* addresses. If it goes outside those two ranges you are mapping the Internet and your ISP may come down on you like a ton of bricks.

Comment

Anything related to nmap is unwonderfully blocked :-X

But, I had the Windows program NetToolsv.5, and its pretty advanced..I hope it does the trick. Once I find the numbers, I'll come to you on with that information.

Do you have any idea about the partitions though? Because their software is dumb enough to make me want to throw my poor computer through a wall. Which are cement >

Comment

So, I have the IP number to the printer. Can I simply go through the printer configuration option to manually connect it by IP number? Because I believe I saw an option there at one point.

Comment

KGear --> Settings --> System Settings --> Printer Configuration --> New Printer.

You'll probably end up with something like a.b.c.d:9100

Comment

I actually had an IP number though...[172.16.WX.YZ-I forgot the last digits, and I have it written down somewhere in my blackhole..that is desk] I'm not sure what to do with the a.b.c.d part. Unless I'm being a complete idiot, and the a.b.c.d corresponds with my numbers :-X

And I know its off topic from my menu choice, but since its been heavily discussed, do you think it would work for me to drop all the menus into the root folder of my main partition? Or would that just royally screw my system? [which isn't the biggest deal in the world..]

Comment

The a.b.c.d. means for you 172.16.WX.YZ

Comment

Thanks Detonate, I figured it was a complete idiots moment there :-X

Comment

And I know its off topic from my menu choice, but since its been heavily discussed, do you think it would work for me to drop all the menus into the root folder of my main partition? Or would that just royally screw my system? [which isn't the biggest deal in the world..]
                                No. You'd have to run as root and THAT is crazy, to say nothing of being totally insecure.

IF you use IPP (Internet Printer Protocol) your printer address would be something like this:
                                ipp:/172.16.wx.yz:631

BTW, the 172.16 domain is private and is not visible or accessible from the Internet, so hiding part of the address isn't necessary unless its other folks on your subnet you are worried about.

Comment

Working...
                                X