This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drivers, what do I use?

Howdy Folks, I hate to be a bother but as a first time Linux/Kubuntu user I feel like I'm 5 years old again. I've only used mac and PC for ages and never thought when I decided to use Kubuntu for my Jeeps' onboard PC that I would hit such a pit of unknown.

That said, my issue is simple: I have 3 things I need to install drivers for:

iONE Scorpius-P20 wireless Keyboard/Mouse

DoubleSight Displays DS-70U USB Keyboard

Giada Mini PC Mobo Drivers (Ethernet, Sound, Chipset)

I have the discs for the monitor and mobo but my PC has no optical drive nor a way to expand for one (Unless I can get my hands on an external). Online I can find the Windows and Mac drivers for the Monitor (can I use either?), I can get Windows drivers for the PC, and I am having trouble doing anything about the keyboard since it is a Plug & Play (I searched and found some people who use it on Kubuntu but not definitive solution. This PC is going to be for music and maybe a flash program (its going in a Jurassic Park Explorer and is going to be the stereo/Interactive "CDROM"). What do I do if I want Itunes or do I need a different music player?

My specs are as follows:

* 10.04 LTS
    * Standalone on a 32GB CSSD
    * KDE = 4.4.5
    * No other OS.

Information about your PC:

* Mini PC
    * Intel Atom 4 Core, 32/64bit
    * Nvidia HD (Hdmi and Dvi support only)
    * 1GB 667MHZ plan to go for 4GB 800Mhz
    * Internal 32GB Corsair CSSD
    * The PC Manufacturer is Giada, model Cube N3 (find it on Newegg its marked down for 180$ and black)

Re: Drivers, what do I use?

The mobo should be supported out of the box in linux, I believe. You usually don't have to find or retrieve drivers for linux - in an overwhelmingly vast majority of cases they are already available in the kernel

You may need to get and install the proprietary Nvidia video drivers if the graphics performance does not suit your needs, but there is already open-source drivers on installed by default - there is a tool in the menus to install any available proprietary video drivers.

the wireless kb/mouse also seem to be supported out of the box - what sort of issues are you having?

the usb-connected display also seems supported, but I am unsure of the ease of configuration. As I am assuming it is the only display, so probably should be pretty standard

as for iTunes, well you are out of luck there. Amarok is the default music player in Kubuntu, but there are plenty of others available to explore.

Comment

Re: Drivers, what do I use?

Kubuntu and Ubuntu are slightly different, nonetheless, most anything you install will have drivers installed allready. If you are having problems with default drivers, there are methods for installing drivers in the "System" tab of the Kmenu (providing you are using Kubuntu 10.04). I do not know the appropriate option in Ubuntu, but I am sure it is there. In any event, most hardware is made for Microsoft compatability. As a consequence developers are usually prompt in making drivers that work in the various Linux Operating Systems, sometimes better than factory drivers. If you are not having system problems using the equipment that is installed, the proper drivers are probably already installed. Perhaps a minus for Linux is the fact that sometimes features that are made for certain hardware are not included when drivers are made that are Linux compatible. I, for one, will not opt for optional features that are designed for Microsoft products, if it means I must change back to a Microsoft Operating System to have them. But, the main functions of equipment must work perfectly. A button on a keyboard that speeds a DVD drive and does not work in a Linux machine is not enough reason to Not use Linux as an operating system. Just not having to install and re-install virus software or having to defrag on a regular basis is enough to offset the loss of a few features present for Microsoft users. You will find that Linux offers so many more features that are configurable by you; the things you are not able to get functioning are not much missed.

The learning curve is a little ominous at times, however, I am probablly one of the least capable users of Linux and I operate Kubuntu Meerkat. You will probably love Linux in a very short while. The applications work better and are more problem free. Even the more expensive Microsoft compatible programs have alternative applications in Linux that many times are more capable and robust. The lack of concern for virus', spyware, and adware, +not having security problems is enough reason to work through the learning difficulties. And of course, everything is Free. Because you ane a newbie, I thought this might interest you.

Comment

Working...
      X