Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WirelessLAN issue, as well as connecting to a hidden wireless network[SOLVED]

Just put a clean install of Kubuntu 10.10 on my friends computer for him, its an X100e, one of the new thinkpad computers from Lenovo. I know that there is a possible way to connect to hidden wireless networks, but I forgot how, and I know that the card is giving difficulties. The card is

Realtek Semiconductor Co. Ltd. RTL8191SEvB Wireless LAN Controller (rev 10)

And I'll spit out lspci as well so that whoever can help me as good information:
    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 Host Bridge
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (int gfx)
    00:05.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 1)
    00:06.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 2)
    00:11.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
    00:12.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
    00:12.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller
    00:12.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
    00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
    00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
    00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 3c)
    00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
    00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 LPC host controller
    00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS780M/RS780MN [Radeon HD 3200 Graphics]
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8191SEvB Wireless LAN Controller (rev 10)
    To make the big ugh problem is, I don't have the ability to wire the computer to a modem/etc. meaning that I can only transfer files from this computer over to it. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. First for the realtek, then for the hidden wireless network. I don't care which answer comes first, though the realtek one is slightly more pressing.
    Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Re: WirelessLAN issue, as well as connecting to a hidden wireless network

Couple of points:

1. Using WICD there's an option to manually enter the ESSID for a hidden network. I don't know about knetworkmanager but I suspect it's there somewhere.

2. Saying "the card is giving difficulties" is not going to get you any help. It simply doesn't have any information and no request for help. Please read the ReadMe link in my signature and try again.

3. Transferring files from one computer to another is simple enough with a USB drive or stick. However, until you know what files you need there's not much need to do that.

Please Read Me

Comment

Saying "the card is giving difficulties" is not going to get you any help. It simply doesn't have any information and no request for help
      This is the best way I could say it. The reason for that is because I'm not getting any wireless connection whatsoever. And I have no clue what is/is not causing this problem. Currently, knetworkmanager is on the computer, but I don't know how to install WICD. Does it come with the installation already, or do I have to download it from somewhere? I know how to compile stuff, I believe[if its a .tar.** file, I unzip it using fhz [filename] and then sudo make [filename] then sudo install, correct??].
      Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

Start by opening a terminal and typing iwconfig and ifconfig and reporting the results.

Please Read Me

Comment

Here are the results:

iwconfig:
          Code:
          lo    no wireless extensions.

eth0   no wireless extensions.

wlan0   802.11bgn Nickname:"rtl8191SEVA2"
               Mode:Managed Frequency=2.452 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated  
               Bit Rate:300 Mb/s  
               Retry:on  RTS thr:off  Fragment thr:off
               Power Management:off
               Link Quality=10/100 Signal level=0 dBm Noise level=-100 dBm
               Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
               Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0  Missed beacon:0
          and

ifconfig
          Code:
          eth0   Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr c8:0a:a9:cd:73:8d 
               UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
               RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
               TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
               collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
               RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
               Interrupt:42 Base address:0x6000 

lo    Link encap:Local Loopback 
               inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
               inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
               UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
               RX packets:196 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
               TX packets:196 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
               collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
               RX bytes:14352 (14.3 KB) TX bytes:14352 (14.3 KB)

wlan0   Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr f0:7b:cb:a4:5c:b4 
               UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
               RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
               TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
               collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
               RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
               Interrupt:18 Memory:f83d0000-f83d0100
          I hope that gives what you need. Also, I apologize for the sloppy first message, I've been working on this computer for the last 36 hours, and I've become quite frustrated with it[I used Fedora, Kubuntu, KDE Mint 9, Windows 7, XP wouldn't work, and yeah. Frustration levels are through the roof :P]

Comment

well wlan0 looks to be UP and recognized by the system........................you say network manager dosent see any wireless access points ?

what have you done to try to conect.............have you tyed to add a wirless conection manualey and typed in the "hidden "ESSID" (SSID as you will see it in the setup dialog box)

and try this in a terminal
            Code:
            sudo iwlist scan
            and post the output.

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I've fiddled around with the knetworkmanager, but nothing shows up. I tried to put in "hidden [SSID]" in the SSID box, but that didn't help do anything.

And here is sudo iwlist scan:
              Code:
              lo    Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0   Interface doesn't support scanning.

wlan0   Scan completed :
                   Cell 01 - Address: 00:0C:CE:83:77:F7
                        ESSID:"<hidden>\x00"
                        Protocol:IEEE802.11b
                        Mode:Master
                        Channel:6
                        Encryption key:off
                        Bit Rates:11 Mb/s
                        Extra: Rates (Mb/s): 5.5 11 
                        Quality=68/100 Signal level=-74 dBm Noise level=-104 dBm
                        Extra: Last beacon: 134ms ago
                   Cell 02 - Address: 00:0C:CE:F2:BB:C3
                        Quality=50/100 Signal level=-74 dBm Noise level=-95 dBm
                        Extra: Last beacon: 139ms ago
                   Cell 03 - Address: 00:0C:CE:85:7C:77
                        Channel:11
                        Quality=47/100 Signal level=-72 dBm Noise level=-93 dBm
                        Extra: Last beacon: 67ms ago
                   Cell 04 - Address: 00:0C:CE:91:CE:29
                        Quality=47/100 Signal level=-73 dBm Noise level=-93 dBm
                        Extra: Last beacon: 574ms ago

Comment

if you click the scan button next to the SSID input feald dose it show?

usualey every thing between the " "in the iwlist scan ESSID line ....would go in the SSID filed of network manager but not shure about HIDDEN ones ........I do think I remember reading about trouble with hidden networks and Knetworkmanager .

you could try seating manually but networkmanager may interfere.........I think it used to go like this

enter the ESSID
                Code:
                iwconfig wlan0 essid <hidden>\x00
                mabe withought the <hidden>

Code:
                iwconfig wlan0 ap pick one
                pick one of the ap's (address)in the scan

Code:
                dhclient wlan0
                may maynot nead sudo

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

nope that dont work no more .....

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Yeah, I tried what you told me to do, the first two commands worked, then I punched in the last, and got this:
                    Code:
                    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.1.3
                    Copyright 2004-2009 Internet Systems Consortium.
                    All rights reserved.
                    For info, please visit [url]https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/[/url]

Listening on LPF/wlan0/f0:7b:cb:a4:5c:b4
                    Sending on  LPF/wlan0/f0:7b:cb:a4:5c:b4
                    Sending on  Socket/fallback
                    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
                    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
                    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10
                    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12
                    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10
                    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11
                    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
                    No DHCPOFFERS received.
                    No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

Comment

I've just realized, it would probably be best for me to post this in the 10.10 network support section..what is the best thing that I should transfer over there, to make it easiest for the people who look there to resolve my problem? Since I don't know if this works the best in Newbie Support or not.

Comment

Re: WirelessLAN issue, as well as connecting to a hidden wireless network[SOLVED]

So. Kubuntu 10.10 is even better than I thought it was. It recognized the wireless card without a hitch, it was connecting to the Hidden SSID that was throwing it off. I figured out how to connect it[by constant browsing and exploring/combination of commands]. Heres what any of you need to do to connect to a hidden wireless network, while using knetworkmanager.

1st, open up the 'manage connections' option by clicking on the manager plasmoid[applet] and click on 'wireless'. Create a new wireless network, with the name you prefer, and the actual SSID of the network. Then, apply and close all the tabs. Open a terminal, and put this code in:
                        Code:
                        sudo iwlist wlan0 scan essid "your hidden wireless name here"
                        having done that, you need to click on the network manager plasmoid again, and click "see more." At that point, it should show your network. I know this works for unsecured networks, and should in theory work with secured ones.

This shows the power of a terminal...thanks guys for your help anyways! Got me into thinking about using different commands, particularly the power 'scan' I got from Vinny! So once again, thanks! And my apologies to Oshunluvr for the bad message, once again, I was very frustrated. But I'm good now.

Comment

Re: WirelessLAN issue, as well as connecting to a hidden wireless network[SOLVED]

Nothing you posted offended me or hurt my feelings so no apology required, I was just trying to help you get you the help you needed. I am amazed how quickly the "wi-fi" gurus on here jumped on it as soon as you posted some relevant information. See how well that worked?

I totally understand how it happens - we get stressed in those situations, especially when a buddy (or worse - girlfriend ) is looking on and we just can't find the answer.

I happy you got the help you needed. Now, on to the next issue!

Please Read Me

Comment

amen to that! Hopefully I can help some people out..I tend to stay on the newbie support posting, see if theres something I can throw my two cents in[helped awhile ago with a partitioning issue, that went nicely] and stuff like that. Thanks again, and everything is updating nicely.

Comment

Working...
                            X