This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error message when booting Kubuntu

Hi, there been using Kubuntu for about four months and this is the first time this problem has occured.

A few hours ago whilst working on Kubuntu an error message appearing, saying something like I no had permission to write to kde or something like that (I'm unsure of the specifics). I didn't think much of this and restarted my computer presuming all would be fine.

When I selected Kubuntu in the GRUB a black screen with lots of hex numbers, and then the following message appeared:

Killed
    mount:mounting /dev on /root/dev failed: No such file or directory
    mount:mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such file or directory
    mount:mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: No such file or directory
    Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init.
    No init found. Try passing init=bootarg.

BusyBox v1.13.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-1ubuntu11) built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built in commands.

(initramfs)

I have tried to access my Windows partition and it boots up successful. Is there a way to do solve this problem that would save my files, as I am currently working on circuit simulation on a program called Ngspice for a university project and have some important files on the machine.

Cheers.

Re: Error message when booting Kubuntu

It now boots, haven't changed anything- not sure why it works but it does....

Comment

Just to be sure there aren't any lingering problems you can edit the kubuntu boot entry in grub by pressing 'e' and take out the '--quiet' part. That will give you any errors that might need addressing.

Or you can just not bother with it as long as it boots consistently.
      Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
      Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
      Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

You might also try the following after logging in, from konsole:

dmesg | grep fail

If anything is failing to start, you should get a list.

From your original post, it looks like for some reason the system could not mount the file system on your hard disk. If the problem returns, we would need to know more about your system. My guess would be that a cable came loose or unplugged, or the disk powered down for some reason.
        We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
        X