X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

permissions can't be changed( HELP )

Hello once more
    this is the third time I am reinstalling Kubuntu.and every time,while my problem is solved,I am facing a new one

this time the permissions can't be changed.You see I want to install a .exe file using wine.And surely the file should be executable.When I'm trying to change the permission and click ok, nothing will change.

that was an example.no permission can be changed

please help me again and I'll be thankful again

Re: permissions can't be changed( HELP )

Dude, lets start at the beginning: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3110357.0

This is the friendliest forum and there are many smart and helpful people here eager to help newcomers like you but you've got to do at least a little basic homework, some research on your own, and then make your posts complete and informative.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but clearly you're new. You're likely to need lots of help over the next few months. You'll be much more likely to get that help quickly and happily if you read the post I linked above, read the forum rules, and slow down just a bit.

To your issue: same as before, don't make windows based assumptions. Just because a file has .exe at the end doesn't make it executable in linux.

I think you'd be better off playing a bit with linux before you leap into something as problematic as wine.

Please Read Me

Comment

I AM new to linux.That's a fact
      But I'm a C# programmer and windows friendly.That's all
      I know that anything can be a executable file.

I'm saying that permissions can't be changed.(right click on a file>properties>permissions tab)
      And as an example,I said that I want to tick the "is executable" option in the permissions tab.
      But when I click OK,nothing will happen.

this is the problem

If I couldn't make myself clear,I'm sorry

Comment

Try opening a terminal and navigating to the file in question. Then type ls -l

You should see something like

-rw-r--r-- 1 roost roost 11826 23.02.2011 18:58 yourfile.exe

Assuming you own the file, type chmod u+x yourfile.exe

If you don't own the file (the name and group aren't yours), type sudo chown roost:roost yourfile.exe then do the chmod command. Obviously, substitute your username and group for roost:roost

Please Read Me

Comment

BTW, these commands make a file executable to linux, but since it's a windows file, it's not going to do anything.

try wine yourfile.exe

Please Read Me

Comment

Hi,

just as a hint:

what kind of file system are you using for the file in question? I encountered that certain permissions cannot be set on a NTFS file system on a hard disk partition (i.e. one that has been formatted with Windows), since Ext2/Ext3/Ext4 file systems (i.e. formatted with Linux) support certain settings that NTFS partitions don't.

Regards, Jens

Comment

That's a very good point jens_n, it didn't occur to me that the OP might still be using NTFS.

Roostaamir, if this is the case, dump NTFS immediately and switch to EXT4 or reiserfs.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for your help
                I'll try some options here

But you see,the strange thing is lately I COULD change the permissions of the same files in the same partition.but after reinstalling kubuntu(the same way as before) I can't do it anymore.

Any ideas for that?

Comment

Check your ownership of the files and permissions of the directories. You won't be able to change files in a directory unless you have rwx permission.

Please Read Me

Comment

And how can I take the ownership of the directories?

Comment

Using super user status, edit the permissions exactly the same way you would for a file. If you're uncomfortable with the command line way I detailed earlier, open a konsole and launch dolphin with super suer status with kdesudo dolphin. Another way is to install root-actions-servicemenu and then a right click on a file or folder in dolphin will include a "Root Actions" menu list.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank u very much

Now I am

Comment

Great! - glad you got it.

Now that you have this new found power (the ability to control permissions) be careful!

Please Read Me

Comment

Hey!!!!!
                            WAIT!!!!
                            I was wrong.
                            I was in a hurry last time and i thought everything is ok.But it's not
                            You see i entered dolphin the way you said(super user/root).It wanted me to enter the password this time.(So I think I've done it correctly).Then I changed some permissions of the file I wanted.But again the permissions won't be applied after I click OK.
                            Damn!!!What's happening?

Comment

I'm at a loss. Either you're using a windows formatted partition or I don't know what.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X