This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wav to MP3 conversion

For unknown reasons K3B does not want to do it .

are there any other packages that can do this ?

I'm using Hard Heron on a 64 bit PC.

Any thoughts very welcome !

Tim

Re: Wav to MP3 conversion

K3b should do it, but ffmpeg will also work, at the command line, if you have the required codecs from "restricted-extras" installed.

Comment

installing the "lame" package enabled me to do the conversion in k3b. don't know how hardy handles it though.
      Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
      Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
      Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Audacity is a very nice tool for editing / converting sound files ...
        For decent MP3 support you will need kubuntu-restricted-extras, and if that doesn't do the job you should have a look at http://medibuntu.org/
        "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." - Mitch Ratcliffe

Comment

Audacity does well for basic recording and exporting but, to convert an entire album worth of song files from wav to mp3 would have to be done individually. K3b is really the best tool for this task. I use audacity to convert vinyl to FLAC.
          Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200

Comment

VLC contains nice conversion capabilities too, and from the CLI if you want.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

If you have a whole bunch of files to convert, soundkonverter works very well.
              We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

or winff if you knead a GUI for ffmpeg.............their you have lots of suggestions for converting

and theirs more..............if none of these above are good enough

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

There is another neat one. It's called Perl Audio converter (package name in the repo pacpl)

Right click on the file /actions/pacpl convert and select one of the 48 formats.

A couple of warnings:

It can also do a few things you are not supposed to do eg convert a youtube flash file to audio. Also, I had problems playing mp3s converted with it in an Ipod - had to run them through audacity first.

Comment

Load lame with the software management and you will be able to use kb3.

Comment

...as I mentioned earlier.

Hopefully the OP has solved this by now

Comment

Originally posted by rfakhrai
                        ...as I mentioned earlier.

Hopefully the OP has solved this by now
                        Yes, it was your post that helped me solve a similar problem. I thought it might be helpful if I reiterated what you stated. I was trying to rip a cd, however, it did not offer the mp3 format as an output option. After loading lame all worked fine.

If the OP does not return as least his question lead me to your reply which solved my problem.

Comment

Working...
                        X