This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Management Problem under Kubuntu 10.04 - SOLVED

I recently upgraded to Kubuntu 10.04 from 9.04. My processor is an AMD Athlon II 250.
    Since upgrading, data from sensors indicates my CPU temps have increased about 10C, and my processor speeds are always 3GHz, even with 1% utilization rates.
    I have just learned about cpufreqd and the power management files in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpux/cpufreq/
    The value of scaling_min_freq was set at 3000000, the same as scaling_max_freq. I changed the value to 800000 for cpu0 and cpu1 and everything behaves as I wanted - that is, I can see that the core temps have dropped along with the cpu frequencies. However, whenever I restart the computer, I find the value of scaling_min_freq reset to 3000000.
    I would appreciate someone telling me why this is happening and how to make my changes stick.

Re: Power Management Problem under Kubuntu 10.04

I have now learned that /sys is a virtual file system residing in RAM, so any assignment of a value to scaling_min_freq within /sys is lost on shutdown.
    One solution I found by googling is to install sysfsutils from the main repository and then edit /etc/sysfs.conf by adding:
    devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq = 800000
    devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq = 800000

This works for me.
    I don't know why the entries have to start with devices/system rather than /sys
    I also don't know why my upgrade had this issue in the first place!

Comment

Working...
    X