This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help installing virutalbox

Been trying to install virutalbox for a while now with no luck, anyone know of a good step by step guide that can help me along...

Re: need help installing virutalbox

It would be helpful ( ) if you tell us what version of Kubuntu you are using (and if it's 32- or 64-bit), as well as the version of KDE and the version of VirtualBox you are trying to install.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

sorry, running a 64 bit version of kubuntu 10.04.2. Im not picky about the version of virtualbox... not ose though, I will need USB support.

Comment

Ideally I should be telling you about incorporating the virtualbox repository in your packages list but I have personally had no luck with that the last few months for some reason. So

Firstly go to
        http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

and select the 10.04 package relating to your system. Download it.

Then go to

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

and select the extension pack. This is what provides USB support. Download it.

Go to the downloaded .deb file, click on it, enter your password and it will install. Then do a first test run. You may get a complaint about a missing file called "dkms". If so, install from your package manager. This is a kernel module (IIRC it's to facilitate virtualbox upgrades) so once installed reboot to activate it. Virtualbox should then run.

Then you can install the extension pack by simply clicking on the file. It will launch VB and install. Done!

Comment

Working...
        X