X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GRUB command to change kernel

Hi,
    I just got a laptop (DELL PP06S) from a friend set up on kubuntu. He told me to download and run the updates packages if I had time. So so did I and now the computer stops on an error at boot and I can't log in at all to type any command.
    The error message coming up is:

ata1.00: exeption Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 action 0x6
    ata1.00: BMDMA stat 0x24
    ata1.00: failed command: WRITE DMA
    ata1.00: cmd ca/00:38:e7:14c/00:00:00:00/e0 tag 0 dma 28672 out
    ata1.00: res 51/84:00:1e:15:7c/00:00:00:00/e0 Emask 0x10 (ATA bus error)
    ata1.00: status: { DRDY ERR }
    ata1.00: error: { ICRC ABRT }

And it seems to try that action over and over but I never get to log in and type any command.
    I got told to check the drive cables connections, which I did but it made no difference.
    I also got told that I could try to start with an older kernel, I tried all the different kernels available in the GNU GRUB but no success.
    The different options availables are:

Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-26-generic
    Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-26-generic (recovery mode)
    Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-25-generic
    Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-25-generic (recovery mode)
    Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-24-lowlatency
    Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-26-lowlatency (recovery mode)
    Memory test (memtest86+)
    Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)

From my understanding these are the new and older kernels, is that right?
    I had to do the updates in 3 times so I guess the kernel from before then isn't in the list anymore.

Every one of them shows the same error message and no way to get a console.
    So I can't type any command.
    Though, I found out that I can type commands in the GRUB, is there any way to change the kernel from the GRUB?
    If so what would be the commands?

Thanks

TiBo

Re: GRUB command to change kernel

Have you tried booting fro a LiveCD and then fsck the partition in question?

Also try edit the grub , go to linux line and at the end type a space and "text" without quotes. See if you get to a "#' prompt or login prompt, and if those error messages come up.
    Boot Info Script

Comment

That error looks like you have a drive failure. It might not be GRUB's fault although it is suspicious that this happened after an update. Is there any possibility of drive failure considering your equipment?

verndog's suggestion about a livecd and fsck is a very good one. try that. also, do a memtest for the heck of it.
      Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
      Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
      Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

This Topic CLOSED. It's a duplicate of (see http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...5453#msg255453).
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X