• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No More System Sounds

Maybe if you try gstreamer's backend?
    http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=86833

Comment

I installed the phonon-backend-gstreamer and ensured that after installation that it was the preferred backend over phon. Still result as before.

Would it help to update the kernel? I'm still running 2.6.35-22. Did an upgrade to .25 a while back, but ran into some problems and reverted to .22

Comment

I would be surprised if a kernel upgrade would help, given that this used to work. Most likely it is related to the 4.6 upgrade. There will be a bugfix release in a week (4.6.1, to be released March 1st). Maybe it's worth to wait and see ...

Darn it, we tried sooo many things!

Comment

At this point it seems the best course of action is to wait for the update next week.

Thanks to everybody who sent suggestions and ideas my way. In the process of trying to fix this, I've learned a little bit more of Linux that I didn't know about last week!

Comment

Please post the output of this command:
            Code:
            lsof | grep /dev/snd
            ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

pulseaudi 1999 scott 22u CHR 116,9 0t0 7532 /dev/snd/controlC0
              pulseaudi 1999 scott 29u CHR 116,9 0t0 7532 /dev/snd/controlC0

Comment

Here's mine:
                Code:
                ubuntuku@satellite:~$ lsof | grep /dev/snd
                kded4   1735   ubuntuku  19u   CHR   116,8   0t0    8237 /dev/snd/controlC0
                knotify4 1836   ubuntuku  17u   CHR   116,8   0t0    8237 /dev/snd/controlC0
                kmix   1888   ubuntuku  14u   CHR   116,8   0t0    8237 /dev/snd/controlC0
                Looks like pulseaudio is locking the audio device, that's why you don't get any notification sound. Did you installed it manually? unless you need it, I recommend to remove it completely and reconfigure your sound:

Code:
                sudo killall pulseaudio
                sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio
                sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-sound-base
                ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

Wahoo! I finally have system sounds! Once I rebooted the computer, I was greeeted by the familiar KDE startup chime.

However, I seem to have lost all of the plug ins required to play mp3's and videos.

At first I thought it was due to the removal of pulseaudio, so I went to reinstall the restricted codecs.

Code:
                  sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras
                  The system came back and said they were "already installed", so I decided to remove them and reinstall.

For good measure, rebooted the computer again, but no go.

Amarok and Dragonplayer keep searching for codecs via Kpackagekit, but can't find any.

so as far as I can tell, the codecs are there, but the programs can't find them. How do I "tell" the programs about the codecs?

Should this fork into a new thread, since the original problem (no system sounds) has been resolved?
                  Suggestions?

Update - Decided to switch back to the Phonon Xine backend to see what would happen. Rebooted the computer, and now I have system sounds and all multimedia.

Mission accomplished!

Comment

Re: No More System Sounds [SOLVED]

Awesome, back in business! Good call, Ubuntuku

Comment

Working...
                    X