This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enabling Internet on Kubuntu 10.10

New Kid just installed Kubuntu and have no idea how to enable internet access. I have a wireless card in my computer which links to a wireless router. The cable modem is connected to this router. The computer is also able to stream music and video to my stereo. These links are secured with a key. All this works fine when running Windows XP-Profession (Which is also installed on my PC.).

I have no idea what parameters to put where to enable the internet on Kubuntu. Nothing I try seems to work Could someone give me the details

Re: Enabling Internet on Kubuntu 10.10

Do you have a password on your connection? If so, do you have it encrypted 64 or 128bit? If it's 64, you need to change the encryption setting in Kubuntu to be 64 bit and then type in your key. If it's 128, you need to type in the passphrase.

Comment

Originally posted by thouartsimple
      Do you have a password on your connection? If so, do you have it encrypted 64 or 128bit? If it's 64, you need to change the encryption setting in Kubuntu to be 64 bit and then type in your key. If it's 128, you need to type in the passphrase.
      Did you check to see if you needed any "additional drivers" (find in applications/system). Be sure your wireless adapter is working. You can check if it is working by clicking on the connection icon at the bottom right of the screen in the tool bar. Click on configure manage connections, choose wireless, you encryption should already be established, add your security key to access your router. If you need details don't hesitate to ask.

Comment

First off, we need to know where the connection is broken. We'll assume for now it's the wireless card. Start by opening a terminal and typing iwconfig and posting the results.

BTW: do a little searching here and you'll find dozens of post on the how's and why's of removing knetworkmanager and using wicd instead.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
          BTW: do a little searching here and you'll find dozens of post on the how's and why's of removing knetworkmanager and using wicd instead.
          replacing one with another will not help if there is no driver for WiFi card. That's question No.1
          http://linuxblog.darkduck.com

Comment

Working...
          X