This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hidden wireless network

So, I'm using the KnetworkManager I believe, the default version that comes, and it gives me no option to connect to a hidden wireless network. I know my SSID, so that shouldn't be a problem, but I don't know how to connect. I saw that apparently, you can't connect to wireless with KnetworkManager, but you need the GnomeNetworkManager...so, I used the "apt-get" command to install the network-manager, but I can't locate it. And its getting annoying. As of right now, I have an ethernet connection hooked up, but not for much longer. Some advice how to connect to a hidden wireless network would be MUCH appreciated. I'll be sure to keep the gnome-network-manager, just if in case I need it, keep the files on my computer, etc.
    Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Re: Hidden wireless network

You might try this suggestion, but what I recommend is to install all packages with wicd in their name:

python-urwid
    python-wicd
    wicd
    wicd-cli
    wicd-curses
    wicd-daemon
    wicd-gtk

then uninstall knetworkmanager:

modemmanager
    network-manager
    network-manager-openconnect
    network-manager-openvpn
    network-manager-pptp
    network-manager-vpnc
    knm-runtime
    network-manager-kde
    plasma-widget-networkmanagement

Open a console and do
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    to clean the files up, then reboot. Open the wicd gui and configure you wireless. In it's menu is a "hidden wireless" connection option.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

So, I'm using the KnetworkManager I believe, the default version that comes, and it gives me no option to connect to a hidden wireless network. I know my SSID, so that shouldn't be a problem, but I don't know how to connect. I saw that apparently, you can't connect to wireless with KnetworkManager, but you need the GnomeNetworkManager...so, I used the "apt-get" command to install the network-manager, but I can't locate it. And its getting annoying. As of right now, I have an ethernet connection hooked up, but not for much longer. Some advice how to connect to a hidden wireless network would be MUCH appreciated. I'll be sure to keep the gnome-network-manager, just if in case I need it, keep the files on my computer, etc.
      You don't need the gnome version of network manager. I also like to keep my wireless network from being broadcasted, and I use kubuntu, so I have a similar problem whenever I add a new machine to the network.

What I do is make the wireless network broadcast itself for a while, then have the new machine connect to the wireless network and make the wireless connection the default connection. After the connection was established at least once, it will get re-established upon each boot, even if you hide it again.

What I don't understand is why you have to have it visible the first time you set it up, even if you know all its details. Maybe some more experienced linux user could explain this in this thread.

Comment

With each version of kde, i hope for this bug to be fixed (it's a KDE bug, not a kubuntu one...).
        Again, here goes... Noting.

I just can't believe that.

Comment

I figured out how to connect really easily using the KNetworkManager. Here is the post I created:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3115823.0

I hope it helps you guys out
          Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

Yeap, that do work. but we've been using this workaround for what ? 4 version of kubuntu ?

Gnome don't requiers me to type a command line, neither does windows....

Comment

Yeah, but GNOME is...well....GNOME. I dont' like it very much. Thats why I'm using KDE. Its a whole lot better in my opinion. And I also look at it like this..if it can't be done from the Konsole, it can't be done at all. :P

Comment

I'm gonna go off topic here because I do a fair bit of enterprise wireless security

On the surface hiding your SSID seems like a good security measure - when it doesn't really help much at all and what it *does* do is complicate support, as you've already found

Cracking WPA encryption can be done but it's a heck of a lot of work and there are usually a few easier targets. The short version is that 99% of folks looking to leech a wireless connection don't have the technical skill to hack into a WPA network and if your network's secured properly it really doesn't matter whether anybody sees your SSID or not

For the 1% of people who *could* hack into your network, there are a heck of a lot easier targets than hacking into a WPA network and if you use AES instead of TKIP to secure your network the really short version is that your network key *cannot* be cracked given the current level of technology.

Also, if I've got the tools to crack WPA sniffing your hidden SSID out of the air is child's play compared to hacking into your network.

So - you can hide your SSID but if someone's got the tools to hack into your network they've got the tools to get your network to reveal the SSID as well.

But - barring certificate-based authentication (which is a real pain to maintain) if you use a strong shared key on a WPA or WPA2 network (think passphrase instead of password - and don't make it easy to guess) and use AES instead of TKIP your home network is about as bulletproof as it gets.

For folks who advocate MAC filtering - sniffing one of your network's MAC addresses and spoofing it is about as easy as sniffing your SSID.

Okay, PSA over. Cheers
                we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                -- anais nin

Comment

Haha, finally someone who sees the pointlessness of hiding the SSID! Though there ARE tools out there to crack WPA with AES and stuff...but its pointless, takes forever, and like you said. There will be much easier targets out there[such as WEP ]

But, I'm on a school server, and I STILL don't know why they are hiding the SSID...seems beyond pointless in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
                    ...if you use AES instead of TKIP to secure your network the really short version is that your network key *cannot* be cracked given the current level of technology.
                    "given the current level of technology available to non-governmental security agencies. For the truely paranoid out there, if the NSA want's to hack your PC, they are going to hack your PC, and do so without a whole lot of effort.
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My e-reader, a cybook orizon coudn't use hidden ssid at first. So i switched the network to visible, and left it that way even after bookeen got the update for that.

But my father is the one having the "say so" with the freebox...

And, because it's a netbook, you go somewhere else where there is a hidden ssid and "Mmm, what was that command line again ??"

That's why I'm using KDE. Its a whole lot better in my opinion.
                      Mine too, but being unable to connect to wi-fi is a bit problematic.

I wouldn’t mind going and fix kNetworkManager myself, but i woudn't know where to begin....

Comment

Haha, finally someone who sees the pointlessness of hiding the SSID! Though there ARE tools out there to crack WPA with AES and stuff...but its pointless, takes forever, and like you said. There will be much easier targets out there[such as WEP ]

But, I'm on a school server, and I STILL don't know why they are hiding the SSID...seems beyond pointless in my eyes.
                        Actually I don't believe WPA-AES has been cracked yet but TKIP has - and it still takes hours if you're doing it with a laptop

Out of the box AES issues a new subkey to devices on the network every so often - default on most devices is 30 minutes. So - if you do sniff the key on an AES network you've got 30 minutes to crack it before the key's useless. You *might* be able to do it with a mainframe in half an hour but there isn't enough computing horsepower available to even the most well-equipped hacker to do it before the key rotates and he'd have to start all over again.

Where WEP used a reasonably simple 40-bit cipher AES is 128 bit, which is about a gazillion oders of magnitude more secure and the key changes on a regular basis. Some access points will allow you to set the key generation interval - mine does and changes keys every 15 minutes instead of once an hour, which was the default on this device. I use WPA-AES because I have a hardware repeater on the wireless network that won't do WPA2

I can't do certificate authentication unless someone can tell me how to put a cert on my PS3, but my network's' about as tight as I can make it - and I don't hide the SSID or use MAC filtering
                        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                        -- anais nin

Comment

Thats just a standard mainframe though..it is possible[though extremely costly] to get a mainframe that is technically FASTER then even top government computers. And if you run bare minimum software stuff, and do it all from a terminal..it is possible to crack it in under 30 minutes. But. Why spend the tens of thousands to do that when you can simply go to a WiFi restaurant, crack their key in 3 minutes, and be done with it? :-X

Comment

Working...
                          X