X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waiting for Authorization

Hello everybody.

I'm new to Kubuntu, and the entire scene of operating systems outside of Windows. I'm young, but willing to learn as much as possible. So sorry if this seems to be the nth time you've had this question.

Anyways, just installed Kubuntu last night(after many problems) connected my NETGEAR WG111v2 to try and get internet up and running- no luck. I sat there staring at the konsole and then my laptop trying to figure out what I should do by reading forum posts,but they all seemed dated so I did not want to screw anything up by doing it wrong.

Newbie guide stuff:
    10.10 Kubuntu
    Not wubi
    4.5.1 KDE
    2.6.3-3 Grub?

All the other stuff seems to be useless for my situation.

I am using the Netgear WGR V7

Thanks forany help in adnanvce.

Re: Waiting for Authorization

Laptop: Make? Model?

Try two commands to discover your Wifi card. Input them in Konsole Terminal Program
    lspci
    or lsusb
    (That's l for lemur, not I for India)

What result do you get against: Network Controller

If possible copy and paste the result here.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Oh, I'm sorry, I meant to post I'm using a desktop AMD 64bit, Phenomx6, 5770

Comment

Still do the two commands...
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Bus OO2 Device 003: ID Ob38:0010 Gear Head 107-Key Keyboard

Bus 001 Device 004 ID 0846:4260 Netgear, Inc. WG111v3 54MBPS Wireless [realtek RTL8187B]

I just bought this adapter today, upgraded from the V2 Prism based I had earlier. From what I understand the realtek chipsets usually work out of the box right?

I've went ahead and tried to mess around with ndiswrapper and the GUI ndisgtk but the dependencies got to me, I had to constantly move my external back and forth between my lappy and desktop transferring the files and then installing them and eventually I just said screw it.

Anything else I should I provide?

Comment

I understand the realtek chipsets usually work out of the box right?
            Possibly not. I'm still looking...

Comment

Is it asking for a passphrase or ASCII key? Passphrase is only for 128 bit encryption and most wireless routers do 64 bit encryption and you need to enter your network key. (I figured this out myself when I was doing a clean install of Kubuntu 10.10)

Hope this helps.

EDIT: You can easily switch to the correct type of encryption right above where you enter your key/passphrase.

Comment

I got it all working. Now I'm having the problem that every time I shutdown my computer and turn it back on the network manager will no longer connect to a wireless connection. Any ideas? Also the adapter is still recognized under lsusb.

Comment

Did you select auto connect in the wireless connection settings? If you not sure where the "manage connections" is, click on the connection icon at the bottom right of you screen, select the connection, then click manage connection. From there you should be able to find the setting for automatic connection.

Comment

Working...
                  X