This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ark problem

When I downloaded a file ark won't open the file saying it cannot start subprocess. What should I do to correct this?

Re: ark problem

How are you trying to start ark? Which directory is the file in? Does Ark open other archive files of the same type, e.g. zip,gziip, bz2, etc.? Can you post the exact words of the error message?

The message you describe sounds as if you are attempting to unarchive a file of a type that ark can't handle, at least not without more backends. For example to use Ark on *.rar files you need to install either the rar or unrar packages.

Comment

I have a similar issue actually, Ark runs fine on my Kubuntu install (after a few headaches).

I have however just installed Kubuntu under VMware (from Windows XP) and when I use tar in a command line all is great.

If I use Ark, I can view the tar/gz files but if I try and extract them I get the exact "Ark Error - Couldn't start a subprocess"

Is this purely related to VMware or is it something to do with the Linux install.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=13377.0

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. However, I had a look there before and I made sure gzip is installed which it is.

In a command line it works, its just via Ark it does not. Ark will Open the file, it just wont extract it as I get the above error.

Cheers,

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X