This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

linux question

hi, im new to linux and kubuntu, so i have a question. do i need any software that would maintain kubuntu, clean junk files, perform something similar to disk defragmentatiion in windows etc.?

Re: linux question

Short answer: no

You can "clean Junk files" with e.g. Bleachbit
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Welcome to the forums!

The need for defrag on Windows machines used to be a great joke in the Linux community. There is however a file check which runs automatically and doesn't need user intervention. What you'll really like is that often Linux runs faster after you've used it for a while.

Comment

thanks guys

Comment

do i need any software that would maintain kubuntu, clean junk files, perform something similar to disk defragmentatiion in windows etc.?
          Yes, yes, maybe not.

A link > Topic: Privacy Cleanup 101:
          Clean up private information, and free up disk space...

A KDE cleaner:

Package: sweeper
          Description: history and temporary file cleaner for KDE 4
          Sweeper can quickly remove temporary information, such as web page cookies,
          browser history, or the list of recently-opened documents. It helps provide
          additional privacy on a system shared between multiple users.
          This package is part of the KDE 4 utilities module.
          Homepage: http://utils.kde.org/

[img width=400 height=226]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3723/sweepert.png[/img]

There are many filesystems > File systems wiki.

Ubuntu default is the ext4 (at the moment) > Ext4

A link > Ext4 defragmentation with e4defrag:
          For all who would like to say that Linux file systems don’t require defragmenting: Please redirect your great ideas to the Ext4 developers. They are the authors of this program — I do not have anything in common with it...
          Second link > How to Defrag in Linux:
          A common question from new Linux users is "How do you defrag your hard drive?" The short answer is that you probably don’t have to. The file system on Linux and other UNIX (and UNIX-like) operating systems is organized and stored more efficiently than the one on a Windows PC. On Windows, PC users will not notice a performance dropoff until fragmentation hits 20 percent or more, which is rare...
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

@ Rog131

As a child my eldest daughter "knew" how to ride a bicycle and therefore couldn't understand why she couldn't ride an bicycle. Difference between "knowing" and "doing".

Have you defragged Linux with a positive effect?
            "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Have you defragged Linux with a positive effect?
              No, i have not defragged - Why not ?

Because:

The need of the defragmentation is rare:
              > How to Defrag in Linux:
              PC users will not notice a performance dropoff until fragmentation hits 20 percent or more, which is rare...
              > File system fragmentation:
              To summarize, factors that typically cause or facilitate fragmentation include:
              • low free space.
              • frequent deletion, truncation or extension of files.
              • overuse of sparse files.
              Here the partitions sdd3 (77% used) and sdd4 (91%) have 0.6% non-contiguous and 11.4% non-contiguous => I don't think that there are need to defrag...

...maintain kubuntu, clean junk files, perform something similar to disk defragmentatiion...
              What i try to say: There are not maintance free systems - the Linux (Ubuntu) needs maintance. Even the disk defragmentation, if the user let the system slide without proper care.
              Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I'm not familiar with any defragging tools for Linux, but it's possible there is some obscure tool out there that I've not heard of. Having said that, I've been running Linux for about 11 years now and have never defragged a Linux filesystem.
                Quote from Ozar, with nearly 15,000 posts - http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/new...inux-ext3.html

Comment

Working...
                X