This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: adding two new drives

Where did I say to do that? Leave system settings closed!

And here's your pic:

Comment

Dude, no offense but are you reading the replies you're getting? dibl gave you specific steps to follow. If you're not interested or willing, fine. But at least acknowledge the post...

Please Read Me

Comment

I can see the drives using fdisk -lu I have not been able to boot to the GParted disk I made. Do i need to do that before I can mount these drives?

jason@jason-desktop:~$ sudo fdisk -lu

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
        255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders, total 312581808 sectors
        Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
        Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
        I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
        Disk identifier: 0x00058bbc

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
        /dev/sda1 2048 299808767 149903360 83 Linux
        /dev/sda2 299810814 312580095 6384641 5 Extended
        /dev/sda5 299810816 312580095 6384640 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
        255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
        Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

Disk /dev/sdc: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
        255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
        Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/sdc doesn't contain a valid partition table

Disk /dev/sdd: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
        255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders, total 156301488 sectors
        Disk identifier: 0x53d02d7c

/dev/sdd1 * 2048 206847 102400 7 HPFS/NTFS
        Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
        /dev/sdd2 206848 312590335 156191744 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sde: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
        255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders, total 156301488 sectors
        Disk identifier: 0x793fe8f2

/dev/sde1 * 2048 206847 102400 7 HPFS/NTFS
        Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
        /dev/sde2 206848 156299263 78046208 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdf: 40.0 GB, 40007761920 bytes
        255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4864 cylinders, total 78140160 sectors
        Disk identifier: 0x0001f5cd

/dev/sdf1 * 2048 78137343 39067648 7 HPFS/NTFS
        jason@jason-desktop:~$ sudo blkid -c /dev /null -o -list
        Invalid output format -list. Choose from value,
        device, list, udev or full
        jason@jason-desktop:~$ sudo blkid -c
        blkid: option requires an argument -- 'c'
        blkid from util-linux-ng 2.17.2 (libblkid 2.17.0, 22-Mar-2010)
        Usage:
        blkid -L <label> | -U <uuid>

blkid [-c <file>] [-ghlLv] [-o format] [-s <tag>]
        [-t <token>] [-w <file>] [dev ...]

blkid -p [-O <offset>] [-S <size>] [-o format] <dev> [dev ...]

Options:
        -c <file> cache file (default: /etc/blkid.tab, /dev/null = none)
        -h print this usage message and exit
        -g garbage collect the blkid cache
        -o <format> output format; can be one of:
        value, device, list, udev or full; (default: full)
        -s <tag> show specified tag(s) (default show all tags)
        -t <token> find device with a specific token (NAME=value pair)
        -l lookup the the first device with arguments specified by -t
        -L <label> convert LABEL to device name
        -U <uuid> convert UUID to device name
        -v print version and exit
        -w <file> write cache to different file (/dev/null = no write)
        <dev> specify device(s) to probe (default: all devices)

Low-level probing options:
        -p switch to low-level mode (bypass cache)
        -S <bytes> overwrite device size
        -O <bytes> probe at the given offset
        -u <list> filter by "usage" (e.g. -u filesystem,raid)

jason@jason-desktop:~$ sudo blkid -c /dev/null
        /dev/sda1: UUID="8753a9e8-9b07-4119-8981-37b8545ed3d2" TYPE="ext4"
        /dev/sda5: UUID="75bdcac2-9469-46f7-8ae7-521ea25bb6ed" TYPE="swap"
        /dev/sdd2: TYPE="isw_raid_member"
        jason@jason-desktop:~$ sudo blkid -c /dev/sdb

Computer are like air conditioners: they stop working when you open windows!<br /><br />Linux : Because you wouldnt put a Porsche&#39;s engine in a Pinto<br /><br />case : HAF 932<br />mother board: ASUS p5e3<br />processor: Intel e8500 3.16 GHz<br />RAM: 8 GB Corsair DDR3 1600<br />power supply: Corsair 850W<br />video card: GeForce 8400

Comment

Sorry I am reading everyones post and I'm just not getting it because as detailed as they are I just cant get it. Thanks to everyone for the time and effort!!
          Your all GREAT!!
          Computer are like air conditioners: they stop working when you open windows!<br /><br />Linux : Because you wouldnt put a Porsche&#39;s engine in a Pinto<br /><br />case : HAF 932<br />mother board: ASUS p5e3<br />processor: Intel e8500 3.16 GHz<br />RAM: 8 GB Corsair DDR3 1600<br />power supply: Corsair 850W<br />video card: GeForce 8400

Comment

dibl,
            Thank you! I am now GPart'ing the disk and have no doubt that the rest is down hill!
            I will find a way to add a pic of me and Jessica later or maybe one of my and Willie Nelson on him tour bus ;-)

Thank everyone for everything! Next I will attempt to setup Apache for my site and ftp/http server

Comment

I have ran GParted and now I can't boot to my raid volume:-/ I tried to reinstall my OS KUbuntu but nnow it is not seeing my raid drive....what have I done?

Comment

I'm trying to reinstall and now its not seeing my raid drives! Because I can't see what drives to choose from I have unplugged all drive except the two raid drives what have I done?

Comment

I have installed Windows 7ultimate on this raid volume no problem, after putting the kubuntu disk and trying again its still not seeing the drive. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                    It's likely these new drives are faster and have other benefits over your old IDE drives. You might consider doing a fresh install to one of them (upgrading to grub2 in the process) and relegate the old drives to backups.

You now have a ton of storage available so planning it's use well in advance can save a bunch of headaches. Moving partitions and data around is possible but time-consuming and dangerous so you're much better off with a good plan. A lot will depend on how critical your "mission" is. Are you just playing around and surfing with web or does your job depend on your computer? If you're planning on a lot of video processing, you'll need to maximize storage space for it. If you planning on installing every program under the sun you'll want large install partitions. You'll get 500 different ideas on drive usage from the users on here, but here's my suggestions:

Decide on what you need and what you might want in the near future: With this much space, why not create some space for a backup install and maybe one or two more installs to play with? How about backup space for your personal data?

RAID0 is way faster
                    than non-RAID setups and RAID1 is the easiest way to duplicate important data. Plan your RAID partitions well and you'll have an easier time of it. I highly recommend linux software (mdadm) RAID over any hardware RAID for a couple reasons: software RAID is more controllable at the user level without continuous rebooting, software RAID is not system dependent - meaning if your mobo dies and you've used hardware/BIOS RAID I hope you can replace it with the exact same mobo and you remember your exact settings!

Using any tool (fdisk if you're comfortable with the command line, gparted if you prefer a GUI) and create your layout. Then do a fresh install. If you're installing to a linux RAID you'll need to use the "Aleternate Install" CD. This will recognize your software RAID partitions and allow you to install to them easily.

Suggestions on sizes and layout:

swap - divide your swap across both drives. Then if you use the swap space it acts just like a RAID (if setup correctly).

/home - should always be a separate partition. Not a bad idea to use RAID0 here, if you do full backups.

Space for installs: I generally use 12gb as my base install partition size. This seems to be enough for plenty of software with room to spare. Use 8 to 16gb. Have at least one extra install partition for backup and/or upgrade purposes.

I won't go into a detailed layout suggestion without knowing what your thoughts are on this. Bascially, it can be as simply or as complicated as you want. Have no fear, once this is setup the way you want it'll all work like magic!

Comment

How do I use the Linux software raid? Do i need to be a Linux Pro to use it?

Comment

1. We can't tell what you've done because you've given us almost no information.

2. It appears you're using BIOS based or some other hardware RAID (but we don't know because you've given us no information) and they usually don't work with linux. Google it.

3. Linux software raid is fairly simple to use. Google it.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=4216.0
                        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3111093.0
                        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3110357.0

Good luck.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                          ...2. It appears you're using BIOS based or some other hardware RAID (but we don't know because you've given us no information) and they usually don't work with linux. Google it.
                          Yup. fakeraid doesn't work with Linux and Linux software RAID won't work with Windows - and vice versa.
                          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                          -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by jpro6363

jason@jason-desktop:~$ sudo blkid -c /dev /null -o -list
                            Invalid output format -list. Choose from value,
                            device, list, udev or full
                            jason@jason-desktop:~$ sudo blkid -c
                            Oooops, OK that was caused by my goof -- the "list" option does not have a preceding hyphen. So the command is:

Code:
                            sudo blkid -c /dev/null -o list
                            Sorry about that.

As stated by oshunluvr and wizard, you're a little late with the revelation that you have a RAID setup in mind. Linux is not windows, and the chip drivers that you need to setup a hardware RAID in Windows are useless for your Linux system. You can use Linux software RAID if you want, just follow the guidance that Google gives. oshunluvr is pretty much a master of it.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3114477.0

Good luck with it!

Comment

Your all AWESOME! THANKS TO EVERYONE!!!!! I tried to reinstall on SATA drive last night as I gave up on RAID, and it just wouldn't work. I went as far as unpluging all the drives except one of the SATA drive and it just wouldn't take. I did get it KUbuntu to install on and ole IDE drive. I know I'm a lot of trouble guys and I do appologize! Again thank you to everyone that has been trying to help me!!

Comment

Originally posted by jpro6363

I tried to reinstall on SATA drive last night as I gave up on RAID, and it just wouldn't work. I went as far as unpluging all the drives except one of the SATA drive and it just wouldn't take.
                                The ubiquity installer that is on the Live Desktop CD has trouble with some BIOS/SATA controllers -- if it didn't see the SATA drive on the system, that's probably what the problem was. Usually you can get the desired result by using the Alternate installation CD, which doesn't use ubiquity, and first go into BIOS and set the SATA channel to "Legacy IDE" or "PATA" or "Compatibility" mode. After installation is finished, you can go back into BIOS and change it back to AHCI mode.

Comment

Working...
                                X